Who's got my unique clear tailight conversion now?...

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
About 6 years ago, I made these clear rear rear tails for a member on here - I think his user name was 'born2drv'. I have a feeling that the car was broken and was just wondering what happened to them, especially as they were the only ones I ever shipped to the U.S

p1928537_1.jpg

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
I guess it's the subtlety that fooled you :biglaugh:

Firstly I disassembled the units and cleaned chrome sprayed the internals...

p1928842_1.jpg

then I cast exact copies of the amber turn pieces

p1928842_2.jpg

after reassembly, I polished the outer covers to as new condition - simples :icon_bigg

you can probably better appreciate on these before and after pics...

p1928842_3.jpg

p1928842_4.jpg

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
Thanks Chambers and cheers for the compliment, inbox cleared so your PM should pop through shortly

White Zombie....that's the effect of chrome spraying the dull grey interior bits - brightens up the reverse lamps a treat I reckon. I think it looks quite cool but whilst respecting the original design. Subtle is the essence of what I do

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
White Zombie;1928884 said:
What's with the wierd light within the trim ?

The one below the licence plate? Some places got those (i have heard them called fog lights, or anti crash lights?) Im sure it has something to do with local laws.

I think it is also the reason some places never got the 89+ tails.

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
How exactly did you cast new turn signal inserts??
Do you have any pics of the process?

I'm sure you'll understand me being a bit coy about the materials and process I use if I tell you it's what I do for a living.

BTW...I managed to find the molds(wasn't sure if I still hade them as it's 5+ years since I last used them). After a thorough clean with solvent, I did a trial cast yesterday and they're still good for a number more impressions.