• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Problem is they want a Victoria's Secret mailer for custom car parts.... and presumably all the details on making their own.

This place isn't a catalog, if you want to go window shopping check out CarDomain or the build up section. See something you like ask the owner about it.

IJ.;1115982 said:
The one saving grace for the Mk3 is MOST builds are never completed and are parted out before they get to a public road.

This may sound elitest and cockish but after seeing some of the "work" done here in the time I've been a member I'm horrified at some of the rolling retroactive abortion machines and happy most are on the other side of the world to me.

That a crack about me? :icon_razz

4U2QUIK;1115974 said:
but that could be said of any other section.
BTW I'm all for the fab section. I'm a inspector at a good sized machine shop, and I love to fab parts for my cars. I also like showing people what can be done.

Bad enough if this were just a request for a gallery of custom fabricated parts... but worse yet, everyone's going to want to know how to build it in their own home garage with a Dremel.

BAD IDEA.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I'd be more interested in a motor building section...people share what they did to the motor, the tolerances they went with, what machines were used in the machining process, assembly pics, tips, and whatever...rangeing from the daily driver to power so intense you just want to slap the shit out of your grandmother...I know we have an engine section but me being a machinist I want to see pics of the machining process and see what other machinist like to do and why....

I know I can find what I want and if I can't I know who I can trust when it comes time to build to ask questions to give solid advise...but I think a section strictly for "building/machining/disassembly" would get mad traffic...fabrication could be includid in that let's say if someone had custom titanium connecting rods made...

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
gaboonviper85;1116002 said:
I know I can find what I want and if I can't I know who I can trust when it comes time to build to ask questions to give solid advise...but I think a section strictly for "building/machining/disassembly" would get mad traffic...fabrication could be includid in that let's say if someone had custom titanium connecting rods made...

And this wouldn't fit in the allocated SME section section why? Start a thread there. Doesn't need it's own group. Between there and the build section (which has some far more complete threads than most of you seem to realize) it's completely covered.

Here's a thought, perhaps create a thread for people to post links to what they find that fits your criteria?

Part of the problem with creating a specific group for something is getting people to actually post there.

Whatever, have fun.... oh and IBTL! :icon_razz

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Maybe a thread for links isnt a bad idea... or maybe a thread for all of the sites for supras, i know there are TONS of members who have little one off sites for there cars, and they ususally have a good bit of info.

Im just exploring ideas here to be honest... maybe we could get a thread like the before and after engine pics thread. but for a 'show and shine of your custom parts'... and then if you have the 'instructions' of how to make them, or how you cut things, or however... maybe something like that?

and i know some of you DONT wanna tell how you did stuff, which i respect 100%.

im gonna go search for some pics and posts about how to make certain stuff and PM grimjack with the info and see if we can get a thread made then... because your right IJ, you mods do have your hands VERY full. your people with lives outside of the internet, so i respect that you dont wanna spend 6 hours a day on here deleting and warning people for bullshit.

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Well I haven't read the WHOLE thread but I wouldn't mind adding my 2c if that does suit ya'll? :D

I'd be all for a fab section, I'm a self taught fab'a and I love a good project and to share some fabbing. For instance I have a Die line here that I made to fab up a simple sheet metal air box style inclosure that could be easily modded to allow any intake piping go through and give the 'legal' look and protection from engine bay temps. I'd be happy to post the die line up along with my making shots, but I'm not 100% on where would be most appropriate to put it? to be honest I hadn't really thought about posting it at all until I saw this post.

Also things like the exhaust I just built, I have a few shots but didn't really do a 'how to', I could have done a write up for. I think it would be nice if it could have some detailed drawings of die lines / patterns that people used to make certain things.

I completely understand the view of, some people just shouldn't do this shit, but I know my own limits and if I'm in doubt I'll get a pro to do it instead. I think to completely can, what could be, such a useful resource such as this cos there are a few dick heads out there would be a shame.

As for the modding of it, I'd be happy to help, tho I don't think I have the background in a machine shop/body shop that would be nice. I'm sure someone out there who is as keen would be able to step up.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
ReQuieM;1116180 said:
Well I haven't read the WHOLE thread but I wouldn't mind adding my 2c if that does suit ya'll? :D

I'd be all for a fab section, I'm a self taught fab'a and I love a good project and to share some fabbing. For instance I have a Die line here that I made to fab up a simple sheet metal air box style inclosure that could be easily modded to allow any intake piping go through and give the 'legal' look and protection from engine bay temps. I'd be happy to post the die line up along with my making shots, but I'm not 100% on where would be most appropriate to put it? to be honest I hadn't really thought about posting it at all until I saw this post.

Also things like the exhaust I just built, I have a few shots but didn't really do a 'how to', I could have done a write up for. I think it would be nice if it could have some detailed drawings of die lines / patterns that people used to make certain things.

I completely understand the view of, some people just shouldn't do this shit, but I know my own limits and if I'm in doubt I'll get a pro to do it instead. I think to completely can, what could be, such a useful resource such as this cos there are a few dick heads out there would be a shame.

As for the modding of it, I'd be happy to help, tho I don't think I have the background in a machine shop/body shop that would be nice. I'm sure someone out there who is as keen would be able to step up.

for right now, i would say post them up in the build thread/gallery section, because thats what it technically is. but if you could post a thread or two about whatever it is you made, that would be awesome! it might pursuade others to do the same!!!! and i need all the help i can get! hahaha

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i just did some intense body work on my car and your right. i bet even if i gave a step by step most people would fuck up. i don't really read any of the build threads. really time consuming when there are pages and pages. i'm sure there are some cool ones though.

now that i think about it. it would be a waste.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i like looking at DIY stuff because it gives me ideas on how to do it, i normally dont follow things to the 'T' just because i normally find easier, cheaper, more effective ways to do stuff.

if you were to post up a step by step, it would shed light on the whole process. if somebody is willing to take the steps to do intense body work, they normally have the general knowledge, or want to learn. but yes, some people would just fuck it up.

but if you have a lot of pictures from anything you've done, then make a thread about it, share with the community!

EDIT: its threads like these, that make me want a fab section here....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130284 - how to form custom plastic molds

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129746 - making framerails (for all of you rusty people haha)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128284 - custom ITB turbo manifold (not 100% finished)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I voted yes then I quickly realized how dumb I was to vote that. We have the build section for any of this fabrication stuff.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Now we're talking body work? Which is it to be? Pulling dents, rolling fenders and cutting hood vents are generally not considered fabrication.

How about a general Automotive Arts and Crafts section? :icon_razz I'll do a thread on knitting your very own shifter cozy! :love:

Just teasing Rennat, been a long day. ;)

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Didn't someone mention body work earlier? I don't really think MOST body work would fall into this catergry. But thats me.

I was thinking more along the lines of custom pieces fabricated for the sup. Like a knitted shifter cozy! (stylin idea btw! lol )

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
I dont think there should be a whole new section, a sticky would suffice . Also simple stuff such as putting gauges, bolting up things, body work ( painting,bondo ect. is not fabrication) .
Fabricating components out of a variety of metal such as stainless, aluminum, steel.
To make stuff like full exhaust, turbo or NA headers, FFIM, IC piping , onto more advanced fabrication componets such as roll cages, chassis reinforcements, suspension ect.
More importantly it has to be done by the individual posting along with things like welder settings, type of welding used, welding rod used, ect. just enough so that people dont ask many questions some are cool but if the same question is asked and answered thats not cool.
Here is a example of the rules a silvia forum has for their fabrication thread,"rules:
No lame projects (weld on muffler, bolt in cage, silvia fronts, stupid stuff)
Be informative to help others with their projects.
Showcase the production process (before, during, after)
Constructive critisism only."
Links are always good too , such as linking to specific build threads, user websites, ect. It will cut down on the clutter.
If there is alot of negativety nothing will happen which is cool. I enjoy surfing other forums on their fabricating threads its just amazing what people out there fabricate its inspirational.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
ReQuieM;1116286 said:
Like a knitted shifter cozy! (stylin idea btw! lol )

Like a little kiss on the cheek from grandma on those cold days where your hand would otherwise have frozen to that billet aluminum skull shifter... or on those hot days where the leather stripped black plastic stocker cooks the crap outta your palm for the first 15 minute of driving.

It's gonna be hot. Just wait... after that, I'm going big. Crocheted car covers with tassles!!!! :icon_bigg Imagine the looks of awe you'll be getting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocheted_lace (I feel a new sig graphic coming on!)

And I mentioned a body work group as having more potential.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
this thread could be closed. too many people take it like a joke, so theres no need to have another section or a sticky for people just to laugh at and make lame ass comments.

i guess everybody gets to post there fab stuff in the gallery section... enjoy.

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Dude I don't think everyone is taking it as a joke. I personally have already said I like the idea. Peops that disagree are always going to make fun and belittle, you just need to learn to laugh it off :)

Seams to be kind of equal support each way. Perhaps we could do a trail run? See if it turns to shit or flourishes?

PS its friday here in Aust so I'm in a happy silly mood cos its 1 hour till my weekend starts! WHOO! So take my comments in a light hearted way :D

Last edited:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah, Rennat. Just because i think the site's resources could be put to better use elsewhere doesn't mean I think it's a horrible idea.... I think it's going to be a horrible mess though. There IS a difference.

I don't think you or many of the others who are all for this are fully aware of what fabrication is and is not. Perhaps you should have just chosen your words more carefully.

The jokes are not intended to be insulting... just having some fun. Sorry.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I like having fun, but i was trying to help out everybody, and you come in and start that stupid shit which just trashes a good thread. i found a website for all of our fabrication needs, just have to register.

http://www.metalmeet.com

and like i said, this site has enough problems, it doesnt need another section that requires MORE time from the mods... which is really too bad. This is true and sad, MK3 owners want stuff, but were truly too cheap sometimes. Even if we had DIY for a 3'' downpipe, and an intercooler piping DIY thread, people still wouldnt do it, they would complain about everything....

i PM'ed grimjack, but i guess hes gone for the night... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.