white smoke non bhg, rpm issue

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Car is still puffing out some white smoke at idle. I need to replace my valve covers asap. Wondering if that could be it? Intake issue fixed but still the car won't want to hit high rpms, very hesitant. Slowly wanting to overheat after hard acceleration while paused,idle. As soon as I roll the car she cools down immediately. Bad turbo? Valve covers? Accordion hose? Slow leading up to a bhg? This cars gone through hell and no signs of a bhg but I don't want to rule it out

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
What makes you think it's not a BHG? White smoke + overheating typically is BHG. Have you pulled the plugs to see if they're washed and/or if there's coolant in the cylinders yet? Compression test? Leakdown test?

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Ya tests are good, I changed my tires and now she revs and runs full boost o_O idk why or how but it's back up running good. White smoke gone now, though my coolant light does fluxuate sometimes off sometimes on. Also still minor wanting to over heat but only when I pushed the hell out of the car in my local mountains.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Fill the coolant overflow to the right amount and your light shouldn't come on anymore. Monitor it and look for any drop in coolant. If it does drop, it's going somewhere, whether that be just a hose leaking or a BHG. Unlike some think, coolant doesn't magically disappear or evaporate from the system :icon_razz.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Are all the air dams in place under the hood? Even the radiator fan shroud? Are the fins on the radiator damaged? Is your clutch fan even turning?

My car can idle all day long in 100+ weather and not even budge from where she normally sets.

If the car cools as soon as she rolls I bet you've either got the wrong fan on the car(Not the 10 blade), you don't have a radiator shroud or you have bent/damaged fins on an old radiator that isn't flowing like it should.

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Just to put it out there the car is an automatic. (ya I know, doing a conversion soon) hmm I need to check that fan, but yesterday she finally overheated. Steam coming from only the little resivour tank, engine was cold! I don't get it, could be a hose? Oh and I started it this morning but there was more white smoke then usual then it stopped. I've had it for 2 months so far, if it is a bug how long does it take to actually blow? I've been driving the car daily and at times hard, shouldn't it have blown by now? Bad rafiator cap? Feels pretty bad :/

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Head gaskets don't just blow. They typically display warning signs for several weeks before they go. Your engine has been trying to tell you, but you didn't want to hear.