white smoke for a minute

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
I checked some of the other threads on white smoke, but none seemed like my problem.
some background on the car: less than 1000 miles on built engine, o-ringed block, copper gasket, 680cc injectors (10.0-10.5 at WOT)
so i'm on my way to the bank, from my job (maybe 2 miles). i hit 8lbs once between lights. as i'm sitting at the drive-thru atm, i notice some white smoke, it looked white, but my shades may have distorted the color. temp's were normal, idle was normal, no change in the way the car runs, no stutters. the smoke only lasted as long as it took to put my check in the atm and pull away. my dad thinks i may be leaking coolant into the turbo, he doubts its a BHG. it drove completely normal from the bank back to my house and idled for like 8 minutes with absolutely no smoke. was this a fluke? is the turbo on its way out? it's a stock ct26 that was rebuilt like 8 years ago, but it sat for a while, then had a seized wastegate problem. could that have killed it? a couple other threads mention that sometimes when overly rich, unburnt fuel comes out like white smoke, but there wasn't much more said about it. :1zhelp:

Darkknight17

Apr 1, 2008
Florida
I had the same problem with mine. At first I think it was coolent leaking and finding its way out the tail pipe, so found a leak and fixed it. Then today while filling my tires with air a huge cloud of whit smoke came out tail pipe, but everything was normal rpm,temp, etc. Im guessing its our turbos. Check for shaft play, b/c mine pretty bad and if yous is to that could just mean our turbos are on the way out. If you find anything let me know.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
i have had the same problem these days but i have a blown head gasket, if your turbo seals are gone, it will happen all the time not just sometimes, unburned fuel is black smok

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Your turbo is very unlikely to leak coolant into the exhaust. By very unlikely, I mean you can essentially stop pursuing that angle - it's never happened that I'm aware of, and if it did, the CHRA in the turbo would have to be massively wrecked, causing a lot more problems than just a bit of smoke.

To the OP: Your block is O-ringed? Cripes, how did you do that with the lack of meat between cylinders and still get it to seal at all? Maybe it hasn't sealed well at all, and that's the cause of your problems? I've heard some folks discussing this, but I've never seen more than a couple people attempt it, and I've never heard of it working on the 7M. Have you checked your compression numbers lately / since the engine was put back together?

To the rest of you... white smoke is usually coolant sneaking into the combustion, and this is normally caused by the dreaded BHG. Have any of you done a compression check? What kind of gasket are you running, how much torque on the head, and what kind of surface prep was used when assembling the engine?

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
GrimJack;1097251 said:
Your turbo is very unlikely to leak coolant into the exhaust. By very unlikely, I mean you can essentially stop pursuing that angle - it's never happened that I'm aware of, and if it did, the CHRA in the turbo would have to be massively wrecked, causing a lot more problems than just a bit of smoke.

To the OP: Your block is O-ringed? Cripes, how did you do that with the lack of meat between cylinders and still get it to seal at all? Maybe it hasn't sealed well at all, and that's the cause of your problems? I've heard some folks discussing this, but I've never seen more than a couple people attempt it, and I've never heard of it working on the 7M. Have you checked your compression numbers lately / since the engine was put back together?

To the rest of you... white smoke is usually coolant sneaking into the combustion, and this is normally caused by the dreaded BHG. Have any of you done a compression check? What kind of gasket are you running, how much torque on the head, and what kind of surface prep was used when assembling the engine?

the o-ringing was done by my father, he's good like that. it was definitely not an easy task, but he says it should pay off. he and my cousin have o-ringed quite a few engines without problem. i'm going to have to wait till next week to check the compression. and i haven't retorqued the head. but the engine saw more boost before i changed to the 680/lex combo, so i'm unsure why the gasket would have blown. i was under the understanding that copper gaskets can withstand higher boost