White Antifreeze smoke out of vents

ryushi5

Mar 9, 2008
Louisville, KY
After topping off my coolant last week I was driving when I smelled a strong smell of burning antifreeze. Soon after this, white smoke came billowing out of my vents and continued doing so as I drove. I drove the car the next day, and as soon as the car heated up it did the same thing. I suspect that the problem may be a heater core issue (though I do not have any experience in the issue; this is only a guess).

Does anyone have any advice on the subject?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Easy(ish) way to confirm would be to bypass the heater core completely.

To do that easy/quick, you disconnect the lines/pipes that go to the heater core and either cap them off or loop them together. If it goes away, then get ready for dash-diving :(

edit: hmm, just disconnecting the vacuum valve still allows pressure to be in the heater core, but perhaps cold coolant doesn't make as much steam/haze?

ryushi5

Mar 9, 2008
Louisville, KY
I was looking through the TSRM trying to find instructions on replacing the heater core. Anyone know where in the TSRM it talks about the heater core?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dont think its in the tsrm.

Just pull the cluister and everything off, steering wheel center console, glove box and then you will start seeing all the bolts to remove the dash. I think theres like 10-15 actually holding it in place.

Dash harness does not need to come out.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Good luck finding a new core, mines toast too, and most of the parts stores stocked spectra brand, the vender is completely out of stock you may be better off taking it to a radiator repair shop and having it fixed and flushed for $20 like i did

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
1) If you buy a new core, the OEM is better quality than the aftermarkets available at my local parts places. It's more expensive, but with proper coolant flushes will last you more than the next 20yrs.

2) When doing the heater core job, here are a few hints. A) There are two 17mm nuts holding the steering column up to the cross brace behind the dash. Telescope the wheel out as far as it'll go, move the driver's seat forward, remove the nuts and let the seat support the steering wheel. No need to remove the actual wheel. B) Unplug the dash harness at either side. LEAVE IT ATTACHED TO THE DASHBOARD. Those two small tips alone will make the job SO much easier for you.

3) You CAN wriggle the heater core box (white duct work) out by loosening the AC evaporator box. You do NOT have to drain the AC system.

4) Be sure to properly secure the heater core pipes to the white box, there are extension pipes on the 'core that use nothing but rubber o-rings to seal it. If you tweak them, it WILL leak.

5) If the extension pipes that go through the firewall grommets are bent in any way, replace them. They're cheap enough and if you're doing the job, just do it right. It'll make your life so much easier. Buy new constant tension clamps for them. Most of these pipes get crushed because people crank down on them with worm gear clamps and destroy them.

6) When removing the dash, pull it out the passenger side of the car. Be careful not to break any clips that secure it just below the windshield- it'll rattle if you break them and don't replace them. When you've got the dash loose, pull straight back to pop it out. Easiest if you remove the shifter, though not necessary.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

ryushi5

Mar 9, 2008
Louisville, KY
Thanks a lot for the help. Sounds like I'm going to have a fun job ahead of me :)

I figure if the core just has a leak I can solder it can't I? If not, I've heard that Rock Auto has them for around $50.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I had mine repaired, don't know exactly how the shop did it, but Rock auto does have them for $53 though as stated earlier the OEM part is going to be much better than any aftermarket one, Wish i'd know some of those tips when i pulled mine shaeff lol i tore EVERYTHING apart

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
After you do a few of them, you learn a bit about the whole operation. LOL. I think I've done five or six Supra heater cores now, one on my Toyota Pickup, and one on my M3.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Mine still takes for ever to warm up even after the motor hits operating temp, would that be the valve on the firewall or the thermostat housing? i'm sure i'm not a vacuum leak simply because i've replaced all the vacuum hoses already

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Chaingun;1646588 said:
Mine still takes for ever to warm up even after the motor hits operating temp, would that be the valve on the firewall or the thermostat housing? i'm sure i'm not a vacuum leak simply because i've replaced all the vacuum hoses already

Look at your heater valve. Look on the underside of it. See that plunger with a metal rod protruding? Push it to the UP position and zip tie it in place. Try your heat. If it works, check the vacuum line to the heater valve. If that is intact and not leaking at all, replace the heater valve. The zip tie is just to verify that the valve is toast, so don't leave it there as a cob-job.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
shaeff;1646496 said:
After you do a few of them, you learn a bit about the whole operation. LOL. I think I've done five or six Supra heater cores now, one on my Toyota Pickup, and one on my M3.

Wow, thats a pretty amazing failure rate. I've yet to encounter a single one. LOL

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mkIIIman089;1647352 said:
Wow, thats a pretty amazing failure rate. I've yet to encounter a single one. LOL

LOL, thankfully only two of them were mine. Note: (this was shortly after I entered the Supra game)- don't be cheap- do NOT buy a used heater core!

But yeah, the rest were friend's cars. Seems like they're more prone to fail after sitting for extended periods of time, though that's just a guess based on the fact that all the 'cores I've done were cars that sat for extended periods of time.