Which radiator is good?

Archon

Mar 6, 2008
Russia
www.200mph.ru
I want to buy new radiator. But I don't know what kind is good for quality/price.
I've search on forum, but different opinions there.
Let's discuss one more time.

OEM, Koyo, JVT.. what else...

What is a expedient choice?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Have you made any performance upgrades to your Supra? If so, what are they?
This is my experience: if your auto is a daily driver with intake, exhaust and fuel upgrades, as are in my Supra, and will occasionally see the track, the OEM will work well, as will an aftermarket OEM style replacement radiator like Modene Proline, CSF and others.

I cheaped out on myself, bought a CSF OEM sized aluminum radiator and have already had to have it roded out once in the past four years as the temps were raising on the gauge during track events and very slow commutes in 33c plus ambient temps. I was told by the radiator shop, that they see CSFs more frequently for repairs than most other brands, but wouldn't say that it was because of design or the way I use my Supra. Furthermore, I was told that I might look into thermostatically controlled fans.

Do you have a local performance shop with which to consult further on choice of radiator? Those guys maintain and build a lot of track cars and performance autos for the street. In Portland there are a few shops, and I now use them to help me keep my Supra on the road and track. One recommendation to me is to increase the time the coolant sees the cooling passages, buy converting to either a twin pass, or side end tank radiator. I'm still thinking about it...

Sorry for the long winded paragraphs, filled with items that need my attention. Van

Archon;1045782 said:
I want to buy new radiator. But I don't know what kind is good for quality/price.
I've search on forum, but different opinions there.
Let's discuss one more time.

OEM, Koyo, JVT.. what else...

What is a expedient choice?

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
I have a PWR radiator in my car. Its HUGE. I think its about twice the capacity of stock and it looks pretty sweet. It also allows you to use the stock fan shroud (but mines broken) and auxilary fan. They arent cheap but are worth the money.

:icon_bigg

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
YouGotSpooled;1046222 said:
I have a PWR radiator in my car. Its HUGE. I think its about twice the capacity of stock and it looks pretty sweet. It also allows you to use the stock fan shroud (but mines broken) and auxilary fan. They arent cheap but are worth the money.

:icon_bigg

I have Autozone replacement radiator with lifetime warrenty. Works fine.. no overheating issues..
Dont buy radiator from Autopart.com.. I found out the hard way..

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
$300 radiator ? Wow !

I bought a new one at the radiator shop down the street thats OEM size for $100. New thermostat at the same time from the dealer and been running that around in 100+ degree heat tearing the road up and the temp needle is just fine.

But I'm not overboosting so there's not more heat being generated that I need to get rid of. If you are generating more heat consistently then a bigger radiator is called for.

What prompted you to replace the radiator ?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
easternguy2005;1046556 said:
$300 radiator ? Wow !

I bought a new one at the radiator shop down the street thats OEM size for $100. New thermostat at the same time from the dealer and been running that around in 100+ degree heat tearing the road up and the temp needle is just fine.

But I'm not overboosting so there's not more heat being generated that I need to get rid of. If you are generating more heat consistently then a bigger radiator is called for.

theres a slight difference between an all AL 3 row radiator and the stock, plastic ended OEM peice.

That Haste unit has been used with some success but I personally run a Koyo as do many of the local DFW guys and it works great! Good luck comrade!

Archon

Mar 6, 2008
Russia
www.200mph.ru
easternguy2005;1046556 said:
$300 radiator ? Wow !

Usually the temperature is little bit higher than it should be. Boost stock. I just want to cool down my engine.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Archon;1047355 said:
Usually the temperature is little bit higher than it should be. Boost stock. I just want to cool down my engine.

It almost sounds like you have something else wrong with your cooling system. Check your thermostat to make sure that it opens, replace with a 160 degree one, (that's what I have) make sure your fan clutch is working properly and waterpump is working properly. Then do a radiator flush. If you're even boosting 20 psi on a upgraded CT you should be fine with a stock radiator. I Have the Koyo and I love it! But then I have a ton of mods to the car as well.

Archon

Mar 6, 2008
Russia
www.200mph.ru
frontierguy25;1047503 said:
It almost sounds like you have something else wrong with your cooling system. Check your thermostat to make sure that it opens, replace with a 160 degree one, (that's what I have) make sure your fan clutch is working properly and waterpump is working properly. Then do a radiator flush. If you're even boosting 20 psi on a upgraded CT you should be fine with a stock radiator. I Have the Koyo and I love it! But then I have a ton of mods to the car as well.

I've done all what you have write))
Now, nothing else to do except replace radiator

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Archon;1047571 said:
I've done all what you have write))
Now, nothing else to do except replace radiator

Is your Radiator rotted out? Does your coolant change to a different color? Does it have cracks around the top of the radiator? You have an 89+ so it probably has the plastic tops and bottoms look those over really good again. Radiators don't just go out.