Which head gasket?

mk3turbo

Sep 5, 2008
michigan
Which head gasket should I use for my setup? Setup is eagle rods, wiseco pistons, arp everything, t67, vpc afc combo, 680cc, fmic, rps clutch kit, light flywheel, 255fp rewire 12v,hks ss, sx afr, aem wideband, arp studs, kn filter, big oil cooler, more im forgetting. Looking for 500whp. thanks in advanced.

mk3turbo

Sep 5, 2008
michigan
CajunKenny;1591162 said:
With all that money, I would not skimp on the HG. I'd run a Stopper type.

Im having a hard time deciding which one, if someone would lead me there. One that is good for the price.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The only stopper type MHG is made by HKS - the block/head decks will require machining to a RA value of 30 or less. I highly suggest you pay attention to correct stud preload and the ARP torque spec.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Did you choose the 2.0 at random? Typically, the machine shop will notify you as to how much material was removed and a decision is made based on that.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Your choices are 1.2mm and 2.0mm for the HKS Stopper- the actual MHG thickness is actually driven by what is removed from the head & block decks. Since a 1.2mm MHG will increase compression (over stock) and is not a great idea for a street car running high boost, the 2.0mm would be my choice. Take a look at this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection

Have the machinist take off the min amount of material from the head/block decks. DO NOT use any type of spray sealer on a new MHG.

Edit: Looks like HKS only offers the Stopper in a 2.0mm thickness now.

SupraTrey

Boost-A-Holic
Dec 16, 2007
Seattle WA
2.0 HKS MHG. I am running some similar components in my rebuild and this is IMO the best choice.

Again it does depend on how much was decked of the head. See below for the rest of my Post.

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SupraTrey;1591338 said:
1.2 HKS MHG. I am running some similar components in my rebuild and this is IMO the best choice.

Again it does depend on how much was decked of the head.

And why is this the best choice? FYI - HKS is listing 2.0mm as the only option for the Stopper.

SupraTrey

Boost-A-Holic
Dec 16, 2007
Seattle WA
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=732&rsku=6560

Edit: you are correct. Check the compression ratio's on the above.

For a stock build is what I meant for the 1.2. 2.0 for anything else including the OP. I am running the 2.0 but I was running the 1.2 before. The rest of my post got cut off for some reason.

I am editing the above post as well so it doesnt cause confusion.