Which head gasket to buy

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
I have been looking at making a mass purchase of parts from horsepowerfreaks, as they have many of the parts I have been saving for over winter. I am trying to figure out which head gasket to pick up for my 87 turbo. I have heard good things from the beaded HKS 1.2mm and know someone running high HP with it with no problem, but I'm wondering which one is the best for my money. I am hoping to someday be getting over 400hp from my 7M, but that wont be until I am out of college in a few years. If any of you could help and shed some light on the subject it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Most of the mhg's from the bigger companies should be fine for that level of hp. The bead and stopper types both have a proven track record. A major concern is thickness. You must first determine the amount of material taken off the decks of both the block and head. These measurements will reveal the thickness of gasket to be purchased to get back to stock. Also, the bore diameter must be taken into account too. (If the engine's cylinders have been bored bigger than stock). gl.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
im running a 1.2HKS MHG, ive ran this in my previous car and my car right now and it held up really well. a headgasket should hold up to that power your wanting its just depending on your tune. you should use ARP hardware if your going to use a MHG.

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
gofastgeorge;1234982 said:
400HP is not really 'High' for a 7M,
so almost any good metal head gasket will be fine.

He is at 580... I know it is not really high, but it is pretty good. I dont think I really need that much, I just want a very reliable and solid running 400.

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
I ran the 1.2mm hks. I loved it. For the money I feel the hks is the way to go. Like already stated it has been track proven. Arp studs is a must .

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
One thing you must do with a MHG - the smoothness spec (RA spec) has to be met for it to seal properly. That means the head/block decks have to be machined to that spec. For HKS, the RA spec is 30 or less.

For ARP hardware, you use the torque values on the spec sheet that comes with. For studs, that is 80 ft/lbs using moly for lube...bolts are limited to 75 ft/lbs (using moly) on an aluminum head. I highly suggest the block holes are chased if you use studs.