Which Coil Overs

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, I'm looking to do a suspension upgrade pretty soon and trying to decide which coil overs to get. Didn't see much info in the reviews category so I figured I'd post and see what you guys are running and get some reviews and info.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Well, TEIN's have proven themselves over the years... however, D2's will be out anyday now and hopefully be getting some reviews soon. They are a 36 way adjustable instead of the TEIN 16-way ( I believe ). The MKIV guys seem to be very satisfied w/ them, and they are more affordable then TEIN's. I ordred mine through a group buy, should be receiving them soon!

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
SupraOfDoom said:
Well, TEIN's have proven themselves over the years... however, D2's will be out anyday now and hopefully be getting some reviews soon. They are a 36 way adjustable instead of the TEIN 16-way ( I believe ). The MKIV guys seem to be very satisfied w/ them, and they are more affordable then TEIN's. I ordred mine through a group buy, should be receiving them soon!

Once you get em, shoot me a message and let me know how you like em! Also, where should I be able to pick a set of these up? Do you know about what retail will be?

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Tein's usually start at around $1000. The set I'm lookin at right now is about $1400...plus you can use the EDFC with most of their suspension setups to control the damping force at the touch of a button...but I guess most companies have that now, heh. I'm in the market for a great coilover setup and would also like to know how the Tein's workout!

-Derek

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I would just choose the coilover setup by choosing the spring rates I want and see whats closest. I would also make sure whatever I got had preload-independent height adjustment.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I have been enjoying my Tein Flex's for just over 2 years now. Since I daily drive my Supra I needed something that could be somewhat soft on these rough roads, yet still get firm when I wanted to play. Tein Flex are 32 way adjustable. Seriously though that amount of adjustability is useless to anyone except hardcore racers, most people won't even be able to tell the difference between point 28 and point 29.

There are plenty of good coilovers out there. As previously mentioned, look at the spring rates. Personally I'd stick with linear rate 500-800lb front if you plan to daily drive your Supra. The independent height/preload adjustment is nice for seasoned players, but it adds an extra amount of confusion to people new to coilovers. It's nice but I wouldn't limit my choices soley to that. The Tein EDFC is awesome for daily drivers as well because of the cockpit adjustable strut dampening, switching from full soft to full firm right before a set of twisties reminds me of TEMS except it doesn't suck :)

I

itr206

The D2's look to be promising.
I ran the Tein Flex when I found out months later the D2's are taking too long. Or I would have those.
My Flex's feel awesome though. Street driving they are not too stiff in the settings I have them on, but enuff that it handles like a gem. More agressive driving in the mountains feels real good too.
I have no complaints

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
TEIN ss, they are the least Expensive out of the line that TEIN offers.
I've had them on my car for a while now and I love them.

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
yeah i'm looking at the tein ss. . .anyone use them for a track day or for some pretty hardcore driving? if so how do they feel during that. Me and a few friends drive through some crazy backroads sometimes and go to track days and I want to make sure that I have something that isn't incredibly rough for daily driving, but they've gotta be great for holding the road during curves. . .anyone know anything about the ebay listing that guy put up? Kei office, they look like they are pretty nice, i looked em up and they are pretty expensive too. If I get some good info on those, I might try to pick them up, otherwise I think I'm gonna go for the tein's

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
figgie said:
hmm
no love for the apex clones? (ie the megan coilovers?)

I can getcha those for $1000 plus shipping. Spring rate is 18k and 14k if I remember correctly.

One thing to note though. Just because a shock looks like another, does not mean it will work the same. One reason Tein and others are more expensive is because the valving in the shock is tested extensively and adjusted to match the vehicle. I know monotube shocks well from my off roading days. We had to change the shim stacks in the shocks sometimes 5 times to get it dialed in correctly.

This is not a easy option in coilovers for our cars because they don't make those parts available. Tein would be able to change the shim stack if you wanted. Megan will not. The springs are there to hold the car at ride height, the valving in the shock is what controls the suspension. The little adjuster on the top is for rebound only in most cases. Most people would not even be able to intelligently explain what changes the shock would need to the valving if they wanted to. That is why getting a shock that is dialed in for your car is sometimes worth the extra money. I'm not saying that the Megan coilovers are not valved correctly, because they might be, but they don't spend the time in devellopment the other companies do and with a 18k and 14k set of springs on it you will not need much compression damping anyways :icon_roll

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
figgie said:
is that those track coilovers, do they have the softer springs yet?

You would have to purchase softer springs if you wanted. Several people are running the Megan's and seem to be happy. 18k and 14k is gonna be great on a flat track and annoying on the street imho. Even if you bough softer springs for the Megan coilovers you are still a few hundred dollars cheaper then anything else like it.

Last edited: