where'd you learn how to work on cars?

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i'm curious how most of you guys learned about cars, i've been really studious the past year, but haven't done much stuff hands-on and haven't learned much.. i was really wanting to do a 1JZ swap, then realized the 7MGTE was a better choice for me (bein a noob and all), but i still don't know enough to do it on my own (for informational and financial reasons)

i was looking at some sites, and found some engines, but i wasn't sure what else i needed to buy along with the stuff they provide (oh on that note, what site did you guys use to buy your engines from? or did you find them at local places/people?)

what's the story for all of you guys?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i learned so much about this car on this forum its redonkulous. i've gained my knowledge from my dad..and my friends..experience...experimenting...and highschool...and uti...
but without this forum, i would be useless.

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
My great grandpa was a old school body man, and mechanic
he used to melt led or something to use as filler, then he taught my grandpa,
then he taught my dad, then my dad and grandpa taught me body work and mechanics.

they didn't like the fact that I got into imports,
and they REALY didnt like it when I only drove rotarys

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
expiriance, just go out in the garage and do it. i did take auto tech in high school which helped. but mainly i picked up the tsrm and did it. before i got my car the most i had done was swap an exhaust or a set of springs, then i got the supra and all of a sudden i'm doing the hg.

oh yeah, and this site.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I always have had a nack for tweakin with things. I was able to do oil changes and basic maintainence. I loved cars, but i liked planes more. I still do but I rather fly planes and work on them. I like to drive cars and work on them so that is what i'm doing for now.
I got interested in cars and that has steered my career and intrests. Now, i'm going to UTI for it.

Most of all, my Supra and Supramania has taught me all I know. Because of it, I am willing to tear something apart to find out a problem. The reason I do it is the reward when all is said and done.

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
I learned from watching my dad and cousin working in a shop when I was younger. Learning how to work on the supra is kinda easy with the help of the forums and reading others threads. I have a 7MGTE but i have a friend that has a 2JZGTE in his MKIV so I don't think its that much different between the 2JZ and 1JZ.

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
I learned from my dad, he's been a mechanic for 40 years, been a master ASE tech since ASE came out, my brother is a BMW bodyman, Hes done Celeberties cars,bmw suv thats in germanys musem, Mclaren f1 (which i got to see in personal and touch and play around with :), and alot of high end cars, etc and my supra buwahuawh, and Idk, First car i really worked on was a 1986 Oldsmobile cutlass Ciera, then got my supra, and Idk?. so i guess it runs in the family?

Last edited:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I didnt know SQUAT when i bought this car. I couldnt find the drain bolt for the oil before i bought it.

I learned in my garage when i blew my hg, my dad knew really basic stuff and his tools consisted of a ziploc bag with mixed metric and standard measurement sockets. He wasnt much help and we dont mix well so i did all the work on my own in my garage over the course of a week with a few lifelines to a mechanic friend i managed to get my car put back together with a list of tools i needed to buy to make life easier.

Since then i got the confidence to dive head first into any project no matter how in over my head i may get. I always manage to get wut im working on to work again. I started gettting into my friends cars and pushing them to stop talking about wut they want to do to their car and actually do it. A few of those cars didnt make it to today and sit arround with valves in the exhaust and some missing a few rear suspension componenets but we learned more than we could anywhere else.

*cliffs, i learned in my garage bymyself with lots of hours of trial and error.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
I am the only mechanically inclined person in my family aside from my younger brother. I learned a lot of things the heard way, but am fairly proficient with a wrench now. I got lucky because my dad was willing to pitch in for tool costs so he could see his old car running again.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Changed my 1st set of front brake pads when I was 4 years old. My step father and mom owned a auto sales/body shop for a little bit and I learned a little then, got real good at identifying wrenches and whatnot and handing them to step dad.

Years later my mom and him divorced and basically all that "knowledge" got lost until I met my current husband. He was a mechanic, his uncle a mechanic, his grandfather a mechanic. There was always at least 3 or 4 vehicles being worked on over at his grndfather's house and I got into reading books on how engines were designed and how they worked and then actually started getting back into the physical labor of it all.

Now I seem to know more (at least about Supras) than the hubby.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
Tanya just reminded me. When I was 16 and fresh into the Supra world I went to the library and read a mechanic textbook over the course of a week. Was one of the most interesting books I have ever read, lol.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
self taught mostly with tips and tricks from my dad who is not a mechanic either.

i can pull a motor under 2 hours and do a clutch in...3 ugh.