Where to mount a engine/tranny oil cooler?

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
Purchased alot of parts recently to redo my entire cooling system. Including all the parts shown below ;)

I had planned to install the coolers between the radiator and AC system however there is not any room for this. I need ideas/help on where to and how to go about mounting them.

I try to do things right the first time so I don't have to do it again, which is why I spent nearly 1800 bucks when all I had was a small radiator leak heh. Read alot of information from here and other sites. I am not a mechanic by any means but i have learned alot since I got my car from forums like this and others.

This is the first time I have attempted something of this scale and have no idea how to go about custom mounting any of it.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

One other thing, this is part of the fan and not the Water pump? Want to make sure its okay to remove permanently.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
A little more information.

I went with two B&M Coolers the following dimensions:
10 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/2 in.
5 3/ 4 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/ 2 in.

And two 13 in. electric perma-cool fans

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Read this for the routing of the remote oil filter/cooler circuit:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62838

You should be able to mount the smaller cooler for the oil at/near the stock location.

My auto tranny cooler is mounted forward of the driver's side wheel well behind the fog light. There is limited air flow here...I used a 9" Spal low profile fan (part #30100608) mounted to the cooler. Mine is hard wired to be always running when the motor is, but a better idea is to have it switched to come on at 160-175 deg like this B&M:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...#37;2D70298&N=700+4294854215+115&autoview=sku
You can also buy a temp switch and mount in the tranny fluid path to the cooler.

If you are going to re-route the tranny cooler lines, adding a filter for the tranny fluid is a very good idea. FYI - the ATF pressure line is the forward one on the tranny. I have both my oil filter and ATF filter on the passenger side forward of the wheel well, behind the fog light. the ATF lines are routed to the filter, then across to the cooler, then aft over the top of the tranny to the return (aft line on the tranny).

The rad fans need a shroud...not too sure what you have will work. The pic you posted is the stock fan clutch and can be removed. A better idea is to keep it though and use a stock shroud.

You will need to fab brackets for the coolers...be creative in locating them. Air flow is what you want ;)

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
Did you have to remove the fog light in order to fit that cooler?

B&M 70298, wish i had seen that earlier looks like i will be sending back my cooler for that one.

Going to have to find someone to fab me up a fan shroud, and I've been your you guide or probably wouldn't of gotten this far, Thanks its very helpful.

Seems like both the coolers i have won't fit in the stock location. What size did you go with for yours?

Yeah~! more parts to order, wife going to kill me +++ Tranny filter heh

You don't thing two 13" perma-cool fans with a custom shroud will be enough cooling?

Is a oil thermostat prior to the cooler for the tranny necessary? I purchased a perma-cool one for the tranny and a mocal one for the engine oil

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I have low profile fog lights, similar to these:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PIA%2D2190&N=700+115&autoview=sku

They do make placing the coolers and remote filters easier ;)

I'm using a Long's TruCool the same size as your smaller B&M. Here's how it's mounted:

Your tranny cooler is larger...it's going to be a tight fit, but I think you can do it. You can see mine in the same pic.

I'm using a Trasko bypass filter on my Supra and have one on my Cressida tranny cooling circuit as well. It's the TI-10S:
http://www.trasko-usa.com/
It will last 15K miles easy filtering ATF.

You can also use one of these on a dual filter head for the oil...I'd use the T3/4-20S

I'm not using a thermostat for the tranny cooler...the fan does a good enough job and getting the ATF to ops temp is not as critical as it is for oil. You can use one though...make it a 160 deg stat.

You'll read all kinds of opinions on electric fans here. I actually have a set of FAL fans on mine, but they are coming off. The stock clutch/fan moves more air and is much more reliable than the electrics. I'm using a FAL fan controller and I had one fail...it gets ugly fast when you have a failure ;)
In Phoenix, it's a great way to trash your motor. You can save your $$$ on this one IMO.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
jdub;1123429 said:
Read this for the routing of the remote oil filter/cooler circuit:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62838

You should be able to mount the smaller cooler for the oil at/near the stock location.

My auto tranny cooler is mounted forward of the driver's side wheel well behind the fog light. There is limited air flow here...I used a 9" Spal low profile fan (part #30100608) mounted to the cooler. Mine is hard wired to be always running when the motor is, but a better idea is to have it switched to come on at 160-175 deg like this B&M:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...#37;2D70298&N=700+4294854215+115&autoview=sku
You can also buy a temp switch and mount in the tranny fluid path to the cooler.

If you are going to re-route the tranny cooler lines, adding a filter for the tranny fluid is a very good idea. FYI - the ATF pressure line is the forward one on the tranny. I have both my oil filter and ATF filter on the passenger side forward of the wheel well, behind the fog light. the ATF lines are routed to the filter, then across to the cooler, then aft over the top of the tranny to the return (aft line on the tranny).

The rad fans need a shroud...not too sure what you have will work. The pic you posted is the stock fan clutch and can be removed. A better idea is to keep it though and use a stock shroud.

You will need to fab brackets for the coolers...be creative in locating them. Air flow is what you want ;)
Man the amount of information that you provide for us here is amazing. I
spend a lot of time reading on SM and planing what is next for my car-
great hobby- the information you provide is concise, well planed and
invaluable. Thank You.

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm drunk at the moment and apologize if this is incoherent.

I appreciate the input jdub, you have been a asset to me in my quest for Cooling enlightenment heh. I think have decide to do a A/C delete for the best possible mounting position.

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
I have oil pooling at the union between my lower IC pipes and the IC itself. Any ideas on where its coming from and why? The IC pipe from the bottom of turbo is clean so its coming from the IC id imagine.

Cooleeze intercooler pipes.

Also had a question about my turbo if anyone could answer it. Is this the stock compressor wheel?

p1124111_1.jpg

p1124111_2.jpg

Also that crack on the bolt i guess on the exhaust turbine ok? Vry minimal play and probably less than 10k on the rebuild from Turbochargers Inc. who where supposed to have upgraded the turbine wheel and cleaned it up charged over 725$ in all and i am in no way satisfied with the work they did. Hadn't met Driftmotion and it was a shop i was close to at the time.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Instead of AC delete, I managed to get away with just removing the condenser fan to get enough room to mount the cooler.

Try to isolate the components you mount from metal to metal contact, using rubber bushings or o-rings or something like that

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
yes~! looks like my oil cooler is just to damn large lol. Well bigger is better in this case right?

So options left is AC delete, nvr messed with a/c system before any tips? Best way to purge it?

Little confused on how to wire the fans up to only turn on with ign switch in the on posistion.

This post was helpful and will definantly use 2 fuses vs the one
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68120

Using two PRM-19113 which have 2650cfm and only draw 8 amps each. With the 3 stock electric fans removed will this add any extra strain on the alternator really?

Best setting for the temp for the on/off swtich. I imagine like 195 or 205 since the thermostat opens fully at 190. Using http://store.summitracing.com/partd...8905&N=700+400006+4294860934+115&autoview=sku for the swtich

And does perma cool really want you to push the probe down into the radiator fins ;( Id hate to mess up such a nice looking radiator heh