Where to get keys cut?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
well i finally got my OEM key blanks in the mail today and i was wondering where to get it cut, i checked with Lowes but they didnt want to cut a blank key that isnt theirs (wtf?) and so i checked a locksmith and they want $120 per key just so i can use it, seriously this doesnt sound like a good deal, does anyone know where i can get it cut for under $20?

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I got 2 blanks from the dealer (nice stock black handle) and cut them at work using the working key I had.

Is there anything special about your key ? Why didn't you just give them your VIN and they cut you a key for under $20...did that with my DD when I lost all the keys.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
ill see if theres a true value locally, i asked the dealer they dont cut keys at our place told me to go to a locksmith, but yeah heres a pic of it, they have the nice black protector on it..

EDIT: i found a true value close to our area im goin tomorrow, keys cut for $2 or less! makes my day ;)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Does the blank say toyota on it? I have a blank one of those and haven't cut it yet as my dealer said they were discontinued and are out of stock (the one I got came from cali and they said that was it for them)

Have to decided what car to cut it for.....

edit: oh you posted (didn't think that was the op's pic)

I'll post a pic of the one i'm talking about when I get home.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Those aren't OEM blanks, just cheap aftermarket ones.

OEM blanks are still available.

I'm surprised the dealer can't do it, and that it was hard to find someone who would...

That's whack.

Jeff

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Jeff Lange;1217622 said:
Those aren't OEM blanks, just cheap aftermarket ones.

OEM blanks are still available.

I'm surprised the dealer can't do it, and that it was hard to find someone who would...

That's whack.

Jeff

These are still available? My local dealer said they were gone & discontinued.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

not my blank obviously, thats from my 91.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yes, those are available. My dealer had them when I worked for Yoda.

Keys were ~12 bucks cut for your vin#. Had to have license, registration to get any key cut that wasn't already in for service.

Luckily I still have every key for my car. :) Master, Valet, Spare. All Toyota originals.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Best way to have a key cut is from the code on the passenger side lock cylinder. Copying an old worn key means that the new one starts out old and worn...