Where to buy rebuilt AFM electronics?

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Hello all,

My AFM isn't kind to me during cold starts or cold weather. It's very picky and only likes warmer weather...I've checked it by using a voltimeter, but not with a scope like JetJock has suggested in his many threads about AFMS... Everytime my car stumbles, it throws a 31 code. It always happens when the car sits for long periods of times... So I'm going to replace it as I'm fed up with the stalling/stumbling.

I have seen rebuilt ones go for 160US online, but they don't seem to have it in stock. Does anyone know where I can get a rebuilt/refurbished AFM electronics online/store? I'm looking for a GTE AFM.

Thanks!

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I don't understand why you would "rebuild" electronics. Wouldn't you just fix the problem? I fix electronics for a living and I have never heard of that. I'm guessing they mean replacing the sensors and such?

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
KINGPIN33 said:
Hello all,

My AFM isn't kind to me during cold starts or cold weather. It's very picky and only likes warmer weather...I've checked it by using a voltimeter, but not with a scope like JetJock has suggested in his many threads about AFMS... Everytime my car stumbles, it throws a 31 code. It always happens when the car sits for long periods of times... So I'm going to replace it as I'm fed up with the stalling/stumbling.

I have seen rebuilt ones go for 160US online, but they don't seem to have it in stock. Does anyone know where I can get a rebuilt/refurbished AFM electronics online/store? I'm looking for a GTE AFM.

Thanks!

I was kinda thinking the same thing also..

How much does a new one cost anyway?

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
A new one if $570.00 so getting that is not really an option. I have heard that the LS400 AFM electronics are the same as ours so that opens up other options of getting new electronics from junkyards. Can anyone confirm this?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
bowsercake said:
A new one if $570.00 so getting that is not really an option. I have heard that the LS400 AFM electronics are the same as ours so that opens up other options of getting new electronics from junkyards. Can anyone confirm this?

for afm?

thats why people do the 550/lexus afm mod. they are the same the lexus is just larger (notice its a V8 vs our inline six) the plug was even the same ( i had a 91 ls400 and my supra is the 89 turbo.)

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
tlo86 said:
for afm?

thats why people do the 550/lexus afm mod. they are the same the lexus is just larger (notice its a V8 vs our inline six) the plug was even the same ( i had a 91 ls400 and my supra is the 89 turbo.)

I completely forgot about the LS400 afm... I remember like 1/2 years ago that people have stated they are exact same electronics, but others have said they are different.

To me, it doesn't make sense that they are the same electronics. People use the LX400 Aluminum AFM housing with the supra's AFM electronics to allow unmetered air to pass through to counter the increase in fuel from the 550s... Now, if the LX400 AFM electronics were the exact same, that means the Lexus is passing umetered air too? Or the lexus is setup such that it knows its passing umetered air...

Someone correct me if I got this wrong, it's been awhile since I've read this up.

It seems that if I leave my car sitting for extended periods, (2-3 weeks) the AFM likes to quit on me. If the car is ran on a regular basis, the AFM is nice to me.

The reason I do not want to buy an AFM off someone on these forums is that it is risky like someone mentioned above. They are usually 20+ years old...

I'll keep my eye out online for AFM electronics.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Well, i was under the impression that the AFM measures air velocity and since the ls400 ecu knows the diameter of the intake air than it can compute how much air is passed through based on calculations based on the known diameter and velocity. This is why when you increase the MKIII AFM diameter (using the lexus afm) you can get more air through at the same velocity. In other words, the air has less velocity for the amount of air going into the system, so the car will give it less fuel and you will run lean. However, you increase the fuel injector size to accommodate for the appearance of less air.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
forcefedsupra said:
I don't understand why you would "rebuild" electronics. Wouldn't you just fix the problem? I fix electronics for a living and I have never heard of that. I'm guessing they mean replacing the sensors and such?

Hello FFS,

From your experience, what part or parts are often the weakest link in the AFMs? I know this is a general question, but from a electronics standpoint, is there any particular part that is prone to breaking down causing failures of the AFMs?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The most common failure is cleaning the sensor with throttle body cleaner. The solvent etches the plastic optics pieces and ruins it permanently.

Yours failure does seem different though. Have you tried to clean and tighten the pins in the connector?

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I work on jets and helicopters, but electricity is electricity. The more complex a part is, the more likely it will fail. All I can tell you at the moment is to look at the circuits and see if anything is burnt or anything. If you can find a wiring diagram of it, you might be able to chase signals with a multimeter. If someone can send me a diagram, I might be able to make it easier, but I don't have an afm because I am running a maft.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
I've cleaned (using only a lint free cloth, no spray cleaner etc...) and checked the AFM connectors. As per TSRM specs, it failed on some of the resistance checks. But as Jetjock has mentioned in some of his threads about AFMs, the only true way to test it is using a Scope.

I checked online, a brand new AFM with the tube will cost me $333 + tax CAD.
I have read a little about MAFT and the pro version. I was wondering if it would make any sense to get that instead of replacing the AFM since I'm spending that much money on an AFM? I have a completely stock car except a DP and an intake.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
If I would not worry about smog checks I would get the Maftpro.
I wonder if anyone here passed smog with the MAFTPRO on.

Cheers,
Roy

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
bowsercake said:

yes definatly, the lexus afm is used to get past fuel cut, and the 550 injectors are used to even out the fuel. the lexus afm lets in about 25% more air and 550's bring in about 25% more fuel. you can boost to about 19 psi i belive with the lex. but you will want to upgrade your fuel pump before you do this combo.