Where should I get the swap?

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
I understand this is a Supra forum, but I came on here because of the 1jzgte knowledge and information that this board has to offer. Thanks to it's members :icon_bigg. I do not own a supra, but I hope to one day own a 1jzgte. I have this crazy idea (not original, but a rare act nonetheless) of putting a 1jzgte into a light car. I want to use a FD RX7. I know alot of people have swapped the V8's into them, heck they even have their own website dedicated towards v8-swapped RX7's...but I want a high revving JZ utilizing the R154 5spd transmission.

Do you all know of any shops throughout the nation that have performed these types of "unique" swaps? If you give me the names, I'll be glad to look them up and contact them. There are hundreds and hundreds of small to large performance shops in the country, and I'm just not familiar with any that have handled a successful motor swap into a chassis it does not belong to. Thanks for any shops that you can name, I really would appreciate it.

-Rick

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
IMO (and as much as I love the JZ motors) nothing but an LSx or rotary belongs in an FD, and I dont really like the LSx swaps into them. They are too rare of a car to keep anything but the origional design of the car the same (boosted rotary). IMO an FC would be a better car to swap something into (not having to wory about the high entry cost).

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
a few 2jz FD's.. there is a place that makes a subframe for them to fit the engine but.. its pricey :)

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
My brother is curently doing a swap with a 1jz in to a FC rx7, but i know under the hood they are a little different so i don't know if posting pics of his car would help. but i can tell you from experience stock 1jz in rx7 hall ass, a friend of mine has one in a car that it completly stock except for he is single and has support mods, its a some turbo out of a 2500 cummins pickup.

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
Thanks guys. I know that a few guys have done the swap with the 2jz or 1jz and there are tons of guys with the LSx motors in there. I've never been a fan of V8's, at least never wanted to own one. I prefer the iron and forged blocks of the JZ motors as well as their aftermarket and potential for good horsepower and reliability (not to mention a plethora of turbo options). JZ motors can take alot of abuse and can withstand relatively high horsepower numbers with stock internals. I've always been a JDM enthusiast and will continue to pursue my dream of putting a JZ into a light car. (MKIV's are nice cars, but they are a bit heavy for my taste and also cost a bit more).

I understand this will be pricey, no doubt about that!

2jzswap.com wants $15k as a starting point for the turn key swap including all parts and labor. Please continue to name some shops :)