Where in Alberta should I move?

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I have some money saved up for a down payment on a house but prices are crazy here in Victoria. I couldn't afford what I wan't AND my TOY's.
I'm looking for

something near a major city where I can enjoy my summer with events like an autocross, drags or maybe even some drifting (I miss my corolla)

a nice new house with a double car garage (what the wife wants)
or an older house with a shop or detached garage and some space so I won't piss the neighbors off with late night grinding/welding (what I want)

a decent place to raise a family

and of course lots of work for a welder

Thanks in advance for your replies

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
well if your moving for a job, Calgary cant hire people fast enough, they also cant build houses fast enough either, thus the jump in prices lately. But id have to say housing prices are still much much cheaper then BC, especially vancouver. Edmonton has cheaper costs of building and renting houses, but my personal opinion is there is more welding work, in terms of oilfield, in calgary and the surrounding area. Both cities have pretty nice motorsports parks, Race City here in Calgary and Castrol Raceway in Edmonton. Both cities are nice for raising a family, but Calgary just got a new huge Childrens Hospital, if that means anything.

so Calgary gets my bet in terms of the availbility of jobs for both you and your wife, one of the many small towns 10-20 minutes outside of calgary could be a great place to have your own hobby welding shop and for raising a family.

do some researching and go visit both cities and see what you think, just remember, The Calgary Flames are cool and well, the Oilers are not, he he he

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Thanks NecroCyde,
Calgary was my fist choice, but I've never been there. I heard that Edmonton was more the industrial center of Alberta. Victoria's a nice city and I can wear T-shirts all year, but less money/higher cost of living is not worth it to me. I geuss I better learn to like snow.:icon_bigg

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
If you want work, Ft. McMurray is a good place to go. I wouldnt recomend staying there forever though. It will drive you nuts! i can speak from experience there.

calgary is a better option i think. It is a little nicer in my opinion than edmonton.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
My uncle lives in Red Deer, right between Calgary and Edmonton. he seems to like it there. And from what i recall it was a pretty nice city.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
NecroCyde said:
hey stanza, nice car, good to see you got another supra, bad to see though why you blocked me on msn, for what reasoning was that for? all i wanted was a downpipe, LOL :(

:( couldnt give you a straight answer wade. i havnt been using MSN a lot since i havnt had a real home or place to set up my computer since i left NAIT and headed south. ill have to go digging through my MSN list and find ya when i get a chance! :eek:

Did you get your car swapped and running yet? and have you started at SAIT yet? im in calgary ATM bumming around my dads house while i get my car inspected and registered before i go back up north to work.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
im actually going to swap my 1jz into another auto mk3, as my supra is playing a fully DD role for now, but i should have the swap completed sometime by the spring. yah im currently at SAIT taking 3D animation and rendering. i live about 25 feet from red mile, so its quite a bit of fun. i should come check out your jza70 sometime. say if you ever see a half decent auto mk3 shell around let me know, the market here in alberta is quite dry, im currently looking at one in kelowna, so we shall see what develops.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
hopefully you can find another shell soon! Im sure funds are tight due to school at the moment anyways. Not sure how much longer i am welcome in calgary, but if you want to swing by and check out the car and what not i will be in town for another day or two.

if i see a decent auto shell to swap into you can be sure ill fire ya a PM!

AlbertaBeef

Jun 20, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I live just outside Calgary, in Airdrie. Nice place, 10 minutes to Calgary, about 30,000 people now.

TONS of work here, housing prices are going high though. Our home is worth $200K more than we paid for it only 4 years ago.

Typical house around Calgary, depending on what you want is $300K-ish. And yeah, price of living is always going up, but salaries are pretty decent - UNLESS you work for the gov't like I do, LOL. Annoyingly, if I lived in Manitoba or Nova Scotia, and made what I do here, I'd live like a king, LOL.

One thing to be said for Calgary as opposed to Red Deer, Edmonton, Ft. McMurray, etc., is the Chinook winds. Although some people get headaches from them, it's nice that it's warmer in winter here than those more northernly places...

Ft. McMurray is a great place to go make a bundle quick, but... it's... way... north... and remote. And cold. You could drive your supra in July and August there, LOL.