Where do i get a Cold Air Intake

knucklebuster

Jan 17, 2010
St. Louis
I have an 87 na and i have been shopping for a cold air intake, where should i look? i have seen many but i am not sure which are the quality parts and which are not quality. I prefer K&N like my truck has. Also, what are some other things i can upgrade fairly easily to increase performance? Thank You!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Your stock intake is a cold air intake. The K&N flows more air, but is not a cold air intake. It will draw from under the hood. I have seen some reports about the dry flow filters, such as the one sold from AEM. Look into that, and use a shield to block engine heat and fan flow.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Im building a custom heat shield for my n/a after I get it all welded up and fitment is right I'll post pics.
Thats about the only thing that will benefit from what i've read.and what Nick said as well..get a MAF adapter and open element dry filter.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Also This is the header I went with, Already ceramic coated to keep engine bay down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Other than a free flowing exhaust [2.5 mandrel bent ] with a nice flowing muffler I'm afraid
thats really all you get for performance for the 7mge.
Unless you want to dig into internals.One of the big reasons I'll be going 2jzge this winter.
More aftermarket, bigger hp #'s to start with etc.

If you want more than that but cant/dont want to swap in a 2jz/1jz /7mgte, Move onto getting the Supra on a diet..lighter wheels, fiberglass hood. etc

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
Also remove that big (intake resonator) on the pipe that is after the MAF, and replace it with a 3" straight tube. I did that when I was N/A and I got like .2 or .3 off my 1/4 mile...

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
redma70;1582286 said:
Also remove that big (intake resonator) on the pipe that is after the MAF, and replace it with a 3" straight tube. I did that when I was N/A and I got like .2 or .3 off my 1/4 mile...

Wrong !

That big resonator is a Helmholtz resonator, It is an acoustic resonance chamber that modifies the acoustic frequency of a sound wave like a spring oscillating with a mass attached on the end. [It helps pull the incoming air into the TB] Almost like a very mini turbo.

What you want it straight [as straight as you can get it] tubing where the accordion tubing is..But do not remove the black canister.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hi,
K&N sold an drop-in air filter, for the stock box that worked well, with noticeably improved throttle response.

When I exceeded the flow capacity of the stock air box (after going 50 trim CT26), I choose to purchase an Cold Air Intake tube from Spectre Performance, that I purchased through Auto Zone. It places the air filter in the space below the passenger side head light. The tube passes back through the stock hole for the cold air intake (to the stock air box) and onto the MAF in the engine compartment. I used an adapter to join the Spectre tube to the MAF, then sealed it all up with a silicone coupler and screw clamps.
The downside, the air filter now resides in a place that requires me to get on my back to crawl under the car to ge at it. Van

Last edited:

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
slow_yota;1582402 said:
Wrong !

That big resonator is a Helmholtz resonator, It is an acoustic resonance chamber that modifies the acoustic frequency of a sound wave like a spring oscillating with a mass attached on the end. [It helps pull the incoming air into the TB] Almost like a very mini turbo.

What you want it straight [as straight as you can get it] tubing where the accordion tubing is..But do not remove the black canister.

Then how come when I removed it my car got faster? Tons of people old me to do it too. It works and my car proved it

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
redma70;1582532 said:
Then how come when I removed it my car got faster? Tons of people old me to do it too. It works and my car proved it

How about you read the n/a stickies before you post bs.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?60249-The-N-A-Upgrade-FAQ

1. copy and paste link
2. read post #2 under intake.
3. realize you have just been owned.
4. go outside and put your resonator back on.
5. youre done =]

And there are plenty of reasons you ran a faster qtr. with no resonator

1. It could of been cooler that day.
2. you could of hooked up a bit better than usual
3. you could just be a liar..etc.