where and how do I change my fuel filter?

albinobmx

Nov 27, 2010
Oregon
I went to drive home today from work and my car acted like it wasnt getting fuel. My car sat along time so the gas should have been flushed but when you need to get to work on time theres no better way then jumpin in a Supra. Its a dumb question but where is the fuel filter and what else should I expect?

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Its in a pretty shitty spot right above the rear diff. I did mine when I lowered the subframe down for solid spacers. Made life a lot easier since the filter was pretty tight on the lines.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Yeah, it is hard to get to. I did mine without lowering the subframe. You can find it very easily by getting under your gas tank, and following the hose from the tank straight to the filter. It's about a foot away from the tank and tucked up there pretty good. I used a crescent wrench and an open ended wrench. Make sure your tank is empty! Might also want to look inside the tank and check the pump depending on how long it was sitting.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I would go ahead and empty the tank and drop it. That will save you a lot of extra labor now if you go ahead and verify the condition of the tank since the car has been sitting up. With my brother's car, the first thing we did was drop the tank and change the fuel filter. The filter itself is pretty tough to get to and harder to install in my opinion. I cannot recall the metric size, but you can find it in the tsrm. Whatever day you plan on doing this, be sure your schedule is clear because it will take you some time to complete. Good luck.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Lowering the subframe is quicker and easier then dropping the tank IMO. Put car on jack stand and jack under rear diff. Spin off the captive subframe bolts and lower it down.. Gives a perfectly clear shot to the filter.

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
jetjock;1851297 said:
1) The filter is a lifetime item.

2) It can be easily tested without removing it.

3) There are a dozen other possible reasons for your symptom.

4) #2

i was thinking the same thing about it being a long lasting filter but at the same time i dont think they let the fuel system set for a few years with bad gas in it either.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
It's not too bad. It does suck. I replaced mine because the fuel in the tank was bad and I didn't want to risk running the old filter. Just make sure you bust the banjo bolt and the fuel line before releasing the filter its self. I didn't drop the tank or subframe.

mark3

Aug 12, 2007
essex
www.mobilemechanic.org
I just renewed mine as the tank was out

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Hipsi7mgte

Apr 22, 2012
Indy
Toyota claims this to be "lifetime" filter but cold hard truth is its not got mine out and and can't flow anything through it. Not even with my compressor trying to force air through. It can be changed without removing subframe or dropping tank but is much easier on a lift or in a pit. O and while I was changing mine my buddy was banging my old one on the ground and after twenty minutes it started to leak out some fuel along with chunks of rust. Longlife item yes. Lifetime no

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Same deal with mine. The PO of my 90 had it sitting in a garage for 7 years before I bought it. Tank, filter, and pump were rusted trash, so I got new ones.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2