Wheel hop issue

BlueRolex007

Chronicles of Boredom
Jul 3, 2011
Lancaster PA
Ok so I got a dreaded wheel hop issue on my 90 mk3 5sp.i checked all my bushings, differential fluid is full, also new carrier bearing, Also checked crossmember for cracks etc. Everything appears good. I only get wheel hop when im taking off in 1st gear at low RPM. If i launch hard or I am roasting tires thru 1st or 2nd its smooth as silk. Like I said only get bad wheel hop in 1st gear low rpm take off. Or when I am trying to go in reverse. Has anyone had this issue? Bad rear possibly? :runaway:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I wouldn't say bad rear but I would say worn out suspension. The tire is trying to accelerate and at the same time compresses the suspension, when this happens the car should 'squat and go'. In your case the suspension is traveling too far compressed and the rebound is trying to push the tires back down, so you're fighting the rebound and tires trying to accelerate.

BlueRolex007

Chronicles of Boredom
Jul 3, 2011
Lancaster PA
I actually just installed megan coilovers and ST sway bars like two weeks ago.The problem existed before and after this. I think I found the problem. My transmission has excessive shaft play, about 90 degrees of shaft play. :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hard to explain, but the low RPM's with the engine trying to not let itself stall will cause the drivetrain to rock. There's quite a lot of play (intentional and wear) in the drivetrain. Motor mounts, transmission mount, suspension, sprung clutch, etc...

The answer is simple, get more revs ;)