What's your occupation?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
senior projectionist/manager of the local movie theater. i get to hang out in an air conditioned projection booth and play with 30+ thousand dollar projectors/platter systems, do maintenance on them, and keep 'em in good shape... etc...

i make $9.50 an hour, which sucks, but hey, it's money. i'm currently awaiting a phonecall from a new job that starts @ $13.50, and after 90 days i get benefits and $17.50/hr. + 40hrs = roughly $700 a week. :)

-shaeff

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
billspreston01 said:
I work for a professional engineer/professional surveyor. That means I set up a $45k GPS system and then walk around carrying a carbon fibre pole in 95 degree weather for half a day, and then I sit in an airconditioned office and draw up maps on either autocad or tpc computer programs. Fun Fun.

I do similar work but, capture all the land data info from a photo taken 4K ft. i the air. It called aerial surveying. I own the company with my dad (about to retire) we do remote sensing, dem land terrain models, topographic maps, and several other services that can be seen @ www.atlisgeo.com.

YourHondaSux

I like Supras
Aug 12, 2005
Panther Country
www.cardomain.com
I'm a UNIX geek in the IT department for the CarQuest corporate headquarters. I transfer financial/inventory records from CarQuest distribution centers to our servers for processing and backup. I also provide first tier tech support to our clients at the distribution centers. Lately I have been getting more into software development and modifying our inventory software to make it more efficient. I write a lot of unix scripts for co-workers also. I'm also finishing up my comp sci degree at NC state so I can go work at IBM or Cisco. Damn, I'm a nerd.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Wow. Old thread.

I work on the IT team for a transit agency. Can't really beat government benefits and the pay is very competitive. I handle IT projects like radio programming, trips to repeaters, installation of equipment, electronic fueling system, MDT's on the busses, you name it. Fun stuff though. We all kinda share the workload and things get done.

I really like the software where you can lay a map of the area out and see every bus, in realtime, who's driving, how many people on it, whether it's got any mechanical trouble, and all kinds of good stuff.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
I know you're situation all too well, but its cool, because min. wage goes up to 7.65 in january!!(for me, anyways) I still have to get a second job to pay for insurance...

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
I am a software developer for a freight forwarder. Occasionally people call me for tech support and I'm the highest level in my company that a tech issue can escalate to, which occasionally means that I get some interesting, challenging problems. I get paid about 50k/yr salary and benefits. I am currently two quarters away from a computer science degree. Once I have that piece of paper I can probably make about double what I do now.

p.s. holy old thread, batman!

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
I have a new job I am a Anti Spam Rule Coder for Appriver.com i filter Spam of millions of email boxes.

Can the Spam
spam.gif

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Deskside IT at UnumProvident (~10,000 local employees)

I upgrade peoples systems after they go home. P3 750 w/21" CRT -> P4 2.8 w/19" FP
Also do some tech support in the mornings and because of our legal department I pull hard drives from the old machines and throw them in a box 'just in case'.

Sometimes I help the build bench(where they image the computers I'm putting out), put out 'daytime' deployments, set up computers for new employees...
While tech support sucks, it means I come in at 8am and don't leave untill about 5:30 or so. Making Friday an early day(normally don't work past noon on Friday).

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
I'm a mechanic on the CH-53D "Sea Stallion" helicopter. I'm officially a crewchief, but I got off of flight orders since I tended to get sick too often while flying (only to the point of puking 4 or 5 times). There was really not much of a worse feeling than feeling like dogshit and knowing that I had to deal with it until the end of the flight. I nearly reached the 500 flight hour mark and was a Night Systems Instructor (the second highest qualification for a crewchief) and was going to be a student at the Weapons and Tactics Instructor course, which would have made me a Weapons and Tactics Instructor (the highest qualification for a crewchief). That trip got cancelled due to our squadron not being able to come across the proper transportation to get there. I was also a Terrain Flight Instructor and Aerial Gunner (on the .50 cal machine gun).

I really enjoy working on our planes, so much to the point that I'm going to pursue a career in aviation maintenance in the civilian world once I get out of the military in 10+ months.

Here is a little visual candy for everyone. Please don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. I have very limited internet access now, but I will do what I can to answer them quickly.

020528carat-i.jpg

TV-back05.jpg

story.chopper.ap.jpg

Last edited: