Whats your fastest highway mph ??

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hey, a stock n/a *could* do 130+, just not on flat ground. ;)

There's a hill about 70 miles from me that has quite a grade to it though... Think I had mine up to ~5000rpm or 5500 in 4th on the auto, 4.30 rear. Again, steep steep hill, straight as can be, and about 3 miles to the bottom. Stock size tires too.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I've gone up to 138 mph. stock 1987 targa top turbo with 3in exhaust, stock blown ct26, koni's, and intrax springs. Felt pretty good......... until my turbo took a shit lol

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Man, people talk about how smooth their car ride at 125 MPH with the top off & mine just vibrates like crazy at 70 MPH, top off. i had stock sawblades, with 225/60R16 tires & stock suspension. I want to get Eibach coils from DM & new struts & shocks... id like to see the difference but with two pocket killers now that seems impossible.. FOR NOW.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
suprarx7nut;1675391 said:
The cross bar on the floor is the only one I've heard does anything at all.

Picture? I really want to stop the shaking the most i can. I mean it'd be embarrassing, since i literally haul lots of female ass :naughty: .... Right now its been very cold but when summer comes ill be sure to have the targa off.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Poodles;1675425 said:
Retorque subframes...

Poodles, I swear that phrase is synonymous with you in my head, lol.

I've checked all my subframe bolts and mine still feels like a noodle. The subframe bolts should certainly be checked, but even with those tightened, a targa mk3 can feel very loose.

New bushings, solid suspension, rear cross brace might help, but i really think to get a targa to feel solid, you've got to have a connection up top. the Weezl wing or BIC's brace would be a great investment if you plan on having the top off for an extended period.

Rear cross bar: http://www.4cefed.com/doluck/doluck.html
http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/doluck.html

doluck1.jpg

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Gota7MGTE;1675360 said:
Man, people talk about how smooth their car ride at 125 MPH with the top off & mine just vibrates like crazy at 70 MPH, top off. i had stock sawblades, with 225/60R16 tires & stock suspension. I want to get Eibach coils from DM & new struts & shocks... id like to see the difference but with two pocket killers now that seems impossible.. FOR NOW.
Sounds like something else its wong.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Poodles;1675425 said:
Retorque subframes...

Reasonable... if the engine bolts were hand tight when i got it, i wouldn't be surprised the subframe would need re torquing.. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

suprarx7nut;1675437 said:
Poodles, I swear that phrase is synonymous with you in my head, lol.

I've checked all my subframe bolts and mine still feels like a noodle. The subframe bolts should certainly be checked, but even with those tightened, a targa mk3 can feel very loose.

New bushings, solid suspension, rear cross brace might help, but i really think to get a targa to feel solid, you've got to have a connection up top. the Weezl wing or BIC's brace would be a great investment if you plan on having the top off for an extended period.

Rear cross bar: http://www.4cefed.com/doluck/doluck.html
http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/doluck.html

Do you know how hard it's to find one of those bars? & if i do it'd stil be extremely expensive...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Do you know how hard it's to find one of those bars? & if i do it'd stil be extremely expensive...

Never said it was cheap and easy, but it's supposedly the most effective. Strut bars might be cheap, but ask any of the elders here and they will all say they are complete waste of time and money.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
suprarx7nut;1675534 said:
Never said it was cheap and easy, but it's supposedly the most effective. Strut bars might be cheap, but ask any of the elders here and they will all say they are complete waste of time and money.

It was actually warm enough to have the Targa off & man it vibrates too much going 30MPH, on small bumps its gets close to violent.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
suprarx7nut;1675534 said:

& oh my car came with front strut bar... lol

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
89 mk3 NA bone stock. 120mph (195kph) and still pulling, though running out of rpm quickly at 5000 in 5th...lol. Car was butter-smooth and stable, despite running on snow tires at the time.

Just for kicks, my previous car; 00 civic SiR with a few mods hit 135mph (220kph) at 7000rpm in 5th. It weighed 800lbs less than the supra and revved a lot higher. It did take a while to get there though...lol.

I don't doubt my mk3 will do 135, but 120 is plenty fast enough for around here. We have a law that if we are caught doing more than 50kph (30mph) over the limit it's an automatic license suspension, fine, and they can take your car. The length of these convictions varies from a few weeks to over a year. So we have to be very careful in these parts...