Whats your fastest highway mph ??

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
88 GT Limited 5 speed. GPS verified, and chase Supra verified, 172mph, top off, mirrors folded in. 245-17 fronts, 275 17 rears. Tokico shocks, race dynamics lowering. Of course I am in the best possible place to play at higher speeds. Germany. I was on the A93 coming back from a car show in Wakersdorf.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
91Supra313;1543614 said:
88 GT Limited 5 speed. GPS verified, and chase Supra verified, 172mph, top off, mirrors folded in. 245-17 fronts, 275 17 rears. Tokico shocks, race dynamics lowering. Of course I am in the best possible place to play at higher speeds. Germany. I was on the A93 coming back from a car show in Wakersdorf.

6600 in 5th so doable, a bit surprised it had enough power to push the air with the top off though what are your mods?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
upgraded ct26, lex afm, walbro, je pistons, hks gasket, 550 injectors, mongoose exhaust, running at that time 1.3 bar. I am having a retard moment right now and can't remember everything that is done to it. energy suspension poly bushes.

It was hell with the top off.....I had shit flying out of the car faster then I could blink. I really don't know what the RPMs were hitting because I was too busy dodging Audis, BMWs, and a few Benzes..... I actually had an R8 smoke past me like I was standing still. the great thing is, after i saw 172 i backed off and then the speedo read all zeros. I think the cable went bad near the tranny. That is the great thing about being here in Germany though.....THE AUTOBAHN!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
At the point you are nearing 172... I'm thinking "dodging" is NOT part of your activity! Is that speed really POSSIBLE with these cars in modest trim like that?

...I'm just thinking anything above a true 160 (I've NOT been there!) has got to be an exponential load from drag... and have a hard time believing 172! Phenomenal speed if true... only ever been there on literbikes myself. Wow!

-crisp

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Well, I had a Navigon GPS, and my friends MK4 with about $20k in upgrades done to it. He has gone over 300kph plenty of times. I asked him what we were at and he said we were topping out around 275 kph on his cluster. my gt was pretty much maxed out at that point. it had nothing left to push. ( shhhhhh don't tell anyone but we were going downhill also for the last few mph.) I was drafting him about 10 ft back...... I guess those nascar freaks know what they are doing with the whole drafting thing.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
91Supra313;1543668 said:
Well, I had a Navigon GPS, and my friends MK4 with about $20k in upgrades done to it. He has gone over 300kph plenty of times. I asked him what we were at and he said we were topping out around 275 kph on his cluster. my gt was pretty much maxed out at that point. it had nothing left to push. ( shhhhhh don't tell anyone but we were going downhill also for the last few mph.) I was drafting him about 10 ft back...... I guess those nascar freaks know what they are doing with the whole drafting thing.

You sir... have HUGE cajones!

Drafting on the Autobahn at over a buck-seventy! DUDE!!!:aigo:

I could sooner believe the speed with the draft than not, though... because just to PUSH that much air would be a substantial load! Your buddies MKIV must be pretty stout as well!:naughty:

-crisp

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Alec;1543674 said:
Does anyone know what the MK3 is aerodynamically limited to?

Throw a brick down the street, about the same...lmao.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

crisp;1543672 said:

I could sooner believe the speed with the draft than not, though... because just to PUSH that much air would be a substantial load! Your buddies MKIV must be pretty stout as well!:naughty:

-crisp

Drafting on the Autobahn here is a normal thing for cars moving that fast. You will normally see a few Audis and BMWs going Mach 4 and then some within feet of each other. Usually on the A6 or A3 though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
91Supra313;1543614 said:

crisp;1543672 said:

-crisp

Original post says he was lead car and that's why I questioned the speed with the roof off, I don't think it's possible but drafting a fast car you could do it with a stock GTE if it would turn the rpm needed without RK or a BHG....

Fuck just look at the world record for human power on a bicycle in the draft(166mph) and a good human being makes about 400 watts of power.....
(about half a HP for brief bursts)

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
91Supra313;1543723 said:
Throw a brick down the street, about the same...lmao.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Drafting on the Autobahn here is a normal thing for cars moving that fast. You will normally see a few Audis and BMWs going Mach 4 and then some within feet of each other. Usually on the A6 or A3 though.

Brick = MKII, Cement Block = MKIII

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
IJ.;1543787 said:
Original post says he was lead car and that's why I questioned the speed with the roof off, I don't think it's possible but drafting a fast car you could do it with a stock GTE if it would turn the rpm needed without RK or a BHG....

This would be interesting to see.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
PCguylovesSupra;1543802 said:
Brick = MKII, Cement Block = MKIII
Shit......sorry....forgot about the old old school...... is there space in there for a rusty brick maybe?
87M-GTE;1543934 said:
This would be interesting to see.
come on over here and you can go for a ride.... Although I will admit this one thing, the autobahn isnt what everyone makes it out to be. There are in fact speed limits, and not everyone drives 300kph. Grant it you are a more of a liability if you are driving less then 130kph, but most just do normal highway speeds here.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
If you draft a vehicle taller than your car and you have the targa off, the wind would not push down into the car but shoot over it, due to the aerodynamics. They proved that with convertables and pickups I believe.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Drake69;1544015 said:
If you draft a vehicle taller than your car and you have the targa off, the wind would not push down into the car but shoot over it, due to the aerodynamics. They proved that with convertables and pickups I believe.

Which is why I said that everything was flying out of it.

Not to be rude or anything, but can we just put this one back on track?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
91Supra313;1543614 said:

Damn I went 160 with the roof off and that was fucking loud.. With the roof on it was 4x as loud going 160 to 170.. cant imagine with the roof off.

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
About 3 months ago I may have gone as fast as 175mph, but im not sure if thats possible , 92 Speedometer was burried even after some hard braking. Worst driving expereince ever

92 Auto Turbo
350ish rwhp