What's your experience with the Ebay 3" DDPs?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
They certainly look well made. Not sure why the flex section is where it is, but maybe it doesn't matter?

Do these bolt on well or are they a nightmare?

Link >>> Ebay Downpipes

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
They certainly look nice enough. However, they are made with very thin steel, so they dent easily, and the flanges often aren't flat enough to seal, in which case you need to get them milled flat again.

Bottom line... they are a crap shoot. You can get lucky, and get one that fits fine out of the box. Or, you can be unlucky, and get one that you have to piss around with.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I have had good luck with them, but I would suggest buying the bellmouth from Driftmotion http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-3inchdownpipewithelbow7m-gte.php its cheaper than Ebay ones and fits better than my DDP did. main thing I uggest is getting the OEM toyota gaskets fot them and spraying with copper spray for the best sealing- i re-used my oem gaskets at least 10 times with that method!

I had a recirculated china ddp and swapped it with Emilio Rescigno's to test a boost creep issue, his bellmouth was awesome! (it didn't fix the boost creep 100%, though)

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
toyotanos;1816634 said:
I have had good luck with them, but I would suggest buying the bellmouth from Driftmotion http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-3inchdownpipewithelbow7m-gte.php its cheaper than Ebay ones and fits better than my DDP did. main thing I uggest is getting the OEM toyota gaskets fot them and spraying with copper spray for the best sealing- i re-used my oem gaskets at least 10 times with that method!

I had a recirculated china ddp and swapped it with Emilio Rescigno's to test a boost creep issue, his bellmouth was awesome! (it didn't fix the boost creep 100%, though)

Oh I would have already got that Driftmotion one, but it's back ordered. I have never heard of that copper spray. where can I find that?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I just now ordered the Driftmotion one. Should ship next week. I'll leave the Ebay ones for someone else :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
This is it: http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80697-Copper-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B000HBNUDQ

You spray it onto the sealing surfaces of your exhaust gaskets and let it get tacky, install and enjoy leak-free sealing! (it does have limits, but like I said I was able to re-use my gaskets several times (never retired them, actually) Just gave them away to the guy who bought my downpipe.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Thanks toyotanos. I did also order the CT26 gasket set from Driftmotion, plus their bellmouth downpipe comes with a new gasket, so I might be set, unless you advise using this stuff even on brand new gaskets.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
I bought mk3 ddp from eBay straight rip off didn't even fit level on my exhaust side of turbo. And it. Would hit firewall no matter how much I banged it in. It seems like it would fit 7m mk2. But not mk3, I wouldn't buy them if I where you.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If you see this gasket, throw it away, even brand new.
CXR-GASKET-CT26-7MGTE.jpg

You want this one:
ebay-2%20007.jpg

I always put the copper spray on all my exhaust gaskets, new and used. Like I said- its extra insurance, nothing beats a quality gasket.

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
toyotanos;1816724 said:
This is it: http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80697-Copper-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B000HBNUDQ

You spray it onto the sealing surfaces of your exhaust gaskets and let it get tacky, install and enjoy leak-free sealing! (it does have limits, but like I said I was able to re-use my gaskets several times (never retired them, actually) Just gave them away to the guy who bought my downpipe.

Thanks for the tip I'm gonna do that next time I put a gasket on.

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
DONT EVER GET AN EBAY DDP, i got one and first off it didnt fit, the flex was touching frame. Second its not long enough either, missing like 3 inchs. And yes the gaskets suck also.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Sounds like you used a Megan racing downpipe(the one that has a seperate elbow- stock or aftermarket). I just had to fix a local kid's Supra with the same issue. Angle is wrong and its about 2 3/4" short :(

The ebay downpipes with the integrated elbows have been great, for the ones I've seen :)

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
nah not megan, it was mirage power downpipe= ebay lol. but now i need to find a another downpipe. my set up now is cxracing elbow+ hks downpipe + test pipe + blitz Nur spec. the reason why i need another downpipe is for another hole on the elbow so i can run a wideband.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The wideband should not be in the elbow, it should be about 2 feet behind the it. Reason being, if the sensor is too close to the turbo outlet it could overheat and signal incorrectly.

You want it sonewhere around here to be really safe (look next to the flex section):
p1819457_1.jpg

I capped and never used the forward position bung.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Aaron from Driftmotion actually said the divorced downpipes are too high flow and "nearly" make the wastegate useless. That's why they sell the widemouth one that eliminates the need for the stock elbow.

laxboy36;1819474 said:
ok would it be safe to bring the HKS downpipe to someone so they can put one in?

HKS downpipes have a 2.5 inch opening so it is not a true 3 inch design. I had one on my previous 91T and made a really nice difference but I am told that the widemouth with integrated elbow makes even more power than the HKS DP.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
laxboy36;1819474 said:
ok would it be safe to bring the HKS downpipe to someone so they can put one in?

Yep, just test fit with it installed to find out where you want it and at what angle it fits, mark the pipe and have a good welder drill the hole and weld it in. Ideally you'd have the car there so you can test fit it and be 100% sure it fits with no issues.

VegaSupra;1819505 said:
Aaron from Driftmotion actually said the divorced downpipes are too high flow and "nearly" make the wastegate useless. That's why they sell the widemouth one that eliminates the need for the stock elbow.

In my experience with my LIPP BOSS turbo, it actually didn't flow enough! As the flapper opened up it opened the path from the exhaust housing, but as it got above 1/3 open it started to block the DP pipe! Crazy stuff :D

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
toyotanos;1816791 said:
If you see this gasket, throw it away, even brand new.
CXR-GASKET-CT26-7MGTE.jpg

You want this one:
ebay-2%20007.jpg

I always put the copper spray on all my exhaust gaskets, new and used. Like I said- its extra insurance, nothing beats a quality gasket.

ok so I got the downpipe. It's a beauty! However, I did indeed receive the gaskets that you say to run away from.. even brand new.

Where can I pick up the good ones? I will order them/buy them today.