What's the reason to get the Marlin Crawler bushings for the shifter?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
There are so many threads about the short shifter mods and Marlin Crawler bushings that I figured we could use another one... lol.

No actually I just figured on asking my own question instead of resurrecting a 2 year old thread.

So I received my Momo black leather shift knob yesterday and was far too anxious to get in on there. So I did the short shift mod right away.

Pulled the whole shifter off...
snapped the rubber neck with plyers and Thor-like strength...
ditched the top black shaft...
re-assembled the shifter...
fitted the little rubber thimble on the metal shaft...
squeezed the new Momo knob overtop the rubber sleave...
screwed it in tight
fit the leather shift boot right up to the bottom of the knob..
BAM! Shorter shifter!

It's clicky and notchy, but much shorter! What do the other bushing pieces do? Remove the notchy-ness? Make it tighter? Softer? I didn't add/remove anything except that gawky black stick and I'm pleased with the outcome but am I missing something that makes it "better"?

Thx!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What bushings?

These:
images

They go in the trans. 1 on the ball of the end of the shifter and the other is for the pivot point of the shift. Make the shifter itself tighter and no wobble around.

The rubber part you removed to make the sogi mod work is for vibrations so its not notchy and rough shifting. Main reason why id never do that mod.

Short shifters make the throw shorter. All you did was make the shaft shorter which in turn did make the throw shorter but made the smoothness way worse.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
hvyman;1716227 said:
What bushings?

These:
images

They go in the trans. 1 on the ball of the end of the shifter and the other is for the pivot point of the shift. Make the shifter itself tighter and no wobble around.

The rubber part you removed to make the sogi mod work is for vibrations so its not notchy and rough shifting. Main reason why id never do that mod.

Short shifters make the throw shorter. All you did was make the shaft shorter which in turn did make the throw shorter but made the smoothness way worse.

True, but I did this on my last Supra and loved it. I'll take the notchy shifting any day over that gawky rod sticking all the way up through the sunroof. I just drove it this morning with the new setup and I'm very glad I did it.

So now that I've done the SOGI mod already, are the bushings that you show in your pic something that I should still install? What are they for? My shifter already feels very tight and I don't feel much wobble, but "you don't know what you don't know", and I'm just wondering if I am missing out on some kind of better shifting experience that can be had with those bushings.

thx

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA

You have to take the shifter out to install them.

You could try it if you like but its still going to be notchy.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
you roll with the stock height stick? are you saying that a shortened shifter in general is not your preference? it seems that you'd be in the minority with this.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No most people have stock height they just get a short shifter to shorten the throw. Short shifters dont lower it. They shorten how far the throw is. LIke how far you pull back or push up.

Its better for performance wise like if your racing for the shifter to be closer to the steering wheel so you can easily go from the wheel to the shifter and back.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
hvyman;1716269 said:
No most people have stock height they just get a short shifter to shorten the throw. Short shifters dont lower it. They shorten how far the throw is. LIke how far you pull back or push up.

Its better for performance wise like if your racing for the shifter to be closer to the steering wheel so you can easily go from the wheel to the shifter and back.

Yah I suppose it just comes down to preference. If you are on Laguna Seca and you need that extra 1/10 of a second, maybe you're right. But I just drive on the streets. I just prefer the look/feel of the much shorter stick, like the newer Supras have.

From your responses above, I gather that I don't really need to do the bushings, as I don't particularly feel that my shifter has too much wobble or loose play. The only thing I'd be interested in is minimizing the clicky shifts but honestly I don't mind it too much since I usually have tunes playing anyway and even without it's not like it's super annoying.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Seems like people are confusing a short shifter, with a short stroke shifter.
Poodles is right, the less distance you need to move your hand from the steering wheel to the shift knob, the better you will drive.
Just look at any in-car vidios of German, British, Japanese touring or GT cars on you-tube.
To the car, they all run the shift knob absolutely as close to the wheel as they can.

But if you are doing it because you want the Low-Rider look, with your seat leaned back so that you can barely see over the dash because you think you look cool,
well, to each their own........

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
CT26smoker;1716285 said:
Seems like people are confusing a short shifter, with a short stroke shifter.
Poodles is right, the less distance you need to move your hand from the steering wheel to the shift knob, the better you will drive.
Just look at any in-car vidios of German, British, Japanese touring or GT cars on you-tube.
To the car, they all run the shift knob absolutely as close to the wheel as they can.

But if you are doing it because you want the Low-Rider look, with your seat leaned back so that you can barely see over the dash because you think you look cool,
well, to each their own........

right. yes. because i am such a gangster. this is exactly why i just flew across the country to buy a rare pristine supra turbo. so i can lean all the way back like a poser. oh, or it could be because i just really prefer a shorter stick shift. good grief. i did not expect this when I asked this question. wtf.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Poodles;1716747 said:
and it's now hacked...

Ehh, shifters aren't too hard to come by for when he grows up and realizes function > form, let him have his fun. I got over my sogi hack, way over, and now I'm going auto (can't wait :D).

OP: Don't hack at anything irreplaceable if you want it to stay pristine, and be a little more open-minded, I can't believe you thought a preference for higher shifters is uncommon.
Edit: Yea I wouldn't get marlin crawler bushings with a shifter that low, already really notchy right?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
A. Jay;1716761 said:
Ehh, shifters aren't too hard to come by for when he grows up and realizes function > form, let him have his fun. I got over my sogi hack, way over, and now I'm going auto (can't wait :D).

OP: Don't hack at anything irreplaceable if you want it to stay pristine, and be a little more open-minded, I can't believe you thought a preference for higher shifters is uncommon.
Edit: Yea I wouldn't get marlin crawler bushings with a shifter that low, already really notchy right?

wow you seem like a really nice guy. all i did was remove the black stick in between the knob and the metal shaft. i suppose i've completely ruined my car now. it's almost like a salvage title now. i can't even believe i'm taking the time to type this.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
IJ.;1716762 said:
The rubber isolator is there for a reason..... welcome to Harmonic Buzz at highway cruise speeds....

no vibration. stock knob with rubber sleeve over metal shaft. nothing to create a harmonic buzz. looks completely stock, just shorter.

and by the way "The rubber isolator is there for a reason" <<<<< that right there. that makes zero sense.

the stock bov is there for a reason too. the stock rims too. they must be the perfect size and look for the car. afterall, that's how the Supra was built. oh and the stock springs.. let's not forget about that. gotta have that extra space between the wheel well and the tires... just incase you hit a bump. toyota must have known exactly what they were doing right? and you certainly wouldn't want to replace the stock cats with a test pipe or anything. that would defeat their purpose, no? oh and the stock intake box. and the tape player......

please. i come from a land too old man.

guys put up build threads all the time where they tear down their whole car and rebuild it with whatever they want. i shorten the shifter and apparently i need to grow up because I am a close minded gangster and I am wasting my time trying to lean back in the seat of my hacked Supra so I can hear the harmonic buzz better while I'm cruising on the highway while all you guys are out racing, moving your hand from the top of your shifter to the steering wheel and back every 1.5 seconds. seriously? this has turned into the most ridiculous thread ever. mods... feel free to close this.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Might want to check the attitude there spanky, I was pointing out that your "mod" has been around for 20>25 years now and will eventually buzz, take it for what it's worth I don't really care it's your car it was just some friendly advice.

As for closing the thread again pull your head in if I thought it needed to be closed it would be.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You've confused me with someone that cares...

I won't close your thread as requested but I will move it as an example of what not to do here when people criticise your posts...

severe.jpg