Whats the difference

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
In my ge swap car my dash lights have never worked since I bought the car 2 weeks ago. My question is Im going to be swapping in my gte motor that Im building into this car can I use my 89 turbo dash and just swap it over into the ge dash and will it hook right up. If not what are the changes that Ill have to do. My 89 dash works well no problems but on my 88 the speedo doesn't work, neither do the lights(which could just be a fuse problem havent really checked it). Im going to be removing the steering column to swap it out also and figured I would do this while I was under the dash.

What can I do

Champ

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
you cant mix 89 wiring with any other year, it MIGHT be possible but its not really worth the effort.

i just tried putting an 87 dash harness in my 89 now the ECU doesnt get power.

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
kotu100;1184359 said:
you cant mix 89 wiring with any other year, it MIGHT be possible but its not really worth the effort.

i just tried putting an 87 dash harness in my 89 now the ECU doesnt get power.

I took my steering column out of my 89 and and swapped it into my 88 last night and everything worked fine thats why I asked. I did read that the only thing different was the tac so Im gonna try it and see what happens.

thanks though....

Champ

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
champscl;1184425 said:
I took my steering column out of my 89 and and swapped it into my 88 last night and everything worked fine thats why I asked. I did read that the only thing different was the tac so Im gonna try it and see what happens.

thanks though....

Champ

Ok update tried the 89 turbo dash in my 88 N/A everything seemed to work ok except the boost gauge it was reading the battery hahaha..... theres an extra plug in the wireing of the 88 for the boost guage but since it isnt set up for the boost thats why the boost gauge read the battery I guess. I still dont ahve any lights though. Just the door open lights and the tems etc. no gauges.