What would you do? Have a look inside : )

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Okay here is the deal... I own a 1989 Supra Turbo white package. i took it off the road for a while when i got a speeding ticket. 111mph in a 65mph zone..Put it back on the road a few months latter. Drove it for a couple weeks and it developed a headgasket,and a rodknock...Along with a slipping clutch. So my HP goal for the car is around 350rwhp...

Now for the "What Would You DO" part. The car currently has the 7m with cooleze intake,cooleze IC pipes,BIC test pipe,and BIC Divorced downpipe.. I feel that it is in need of a rebuild from top to bottom crank needs to be replaced for sure... I also have a ford 351 v8 that has been blanced and blueprinted,a good set of cams,and a holley 750 carb on top of it,paired with a 5spd trans.It would need bearings put in just to be safe..

Guy put in a electric fuel pump and forgot to turn it of..only ran for a minute or 2.he didnt drive it anywhere so i think its more than likely good..just replaceing bearing to be on the safe side. I would have to buy headers and a msd ignition system...Oh and a driveshaft.

I think that would put me close to my HP goal,and probably more torque...I am going for the cheapest route here,just to get what i want and get the car moveing again,and get onto my next project which is putting an sr20det into a s12 nissan 200sx.Any questions please feel free to ask.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Knew i left out something... He straight wired the fuel pump to move the car from one place to another in the yard...Forgot to disconnect the pump and left it on for a bit. Gas flooded the engine and got pass the rings into the oil pan,and he ran it after that not knowing it had happened. Could have possibly washed the bearings out..(destroyed bearings)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
If he pumped that much fuel into the cylinders then it would have hydrolocked and probably bend a connecting rod or put a flat spot in the bearings! I call bullshit in that story!!!

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
WonIt;1413157 said:
Knew i left out something... He straight wired the fuel pump to move the car from one place to another in the yard...Forgot to disconnect the pump and left it on for a bit. Gas flooded the engine and got pass the rings into the oil pan,and he ran it after that not knowing it had happened. Could have possibly washed the bearings out..(destroyed bearings)

:wtf::umno: like gaboonviper said:bsflag: Its fuel injected, unless an injector was stuck open I dont see this happening, definitely not in the 2 minutes you said it happened. If anything id attribute the rod knock to a ::bhg:: but considering the credibility of the info your giving who knows whats going on.
Sorry guy but this thead is full of fail.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Yes, The 351 has a carb. It WAS the engine that was flooded....Car was not started until the next day. Which would allow time for the gas to get pass the rings...

none the less my question has yet to even get a comment close to what i am looking for.people love flames i guess.. O well.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
I would stick with the 7m myself. Shouldn't be to hard to get 350hp out of it, just do a basic rebuild with a mhg and go from there.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
WonIt;1413157 said:
So, what did he do then? Put it in a crate and sell it to you? Or pull the oil filter, drain the oil, put on a new filter, refill the oil, run it and listen for the loud banging noises of dead bearings?

Whatever the answer to the above is, the fact is that it's going to cost more to put in the 350. Unless, of course, you own and know how to use a welder and a CNC milling machine.

The transmission on the 350 is unlikely to fit nicely. So you'll need to modify the transmission tunnel. And more than likely the shifter location in the car, too.

There is no such thing as engine mounts for the Supra for a 350. Those will need to be fabbed from scratch. Likewise for the tranny mount - more scratch built pieces. Different radiator required, and custom hoses. Will the intake on the Holley fit under the hood? Exhaust is going to be a challenge as well - the Supra is designed for one sided exhaust.

The driveshaft will need to be built to order - and that means mounting the engine, then measuring exactly what kind of length you need, then sending that information to a driveshaft shop and waiting while they put together your custom piece.

Pray that you don't live in a location that requires smog testing, because your chances of getting the carbed 350 to match the emissions of a fuel injected 3 liter engine are somewhere between slim, and none.

Do you like Air Conditioning? Power Steering? Either or both is more custom work. How are you planning to connect this to the stock ECU? How about the speed sensors? Or are you planning on driving with no dash?

Bottom line - there's thousands of $$$ and many hours of completely custom work involved. It's certainly still within the realm of possibility, but cheap? Not even close.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
idk man iv seen 2-3 mk3s in my area with chevy 350 swaps, the people said it was ez n cheeper then a 7m and every thing worked far as i seen but they were not ford motors. They couldn't beat me tho.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
The engine was pulled out after he found gas in it. It was pulled from my uncles 1st gen stang. When that happened he decided he wanted more and boughht a 450hp crate engine.

I do know how to use a welder. There's a shop close to me that I could have do the driveshaft. The exhaust has been puzzling me...if I could get the headers past the steering on the right side I would be ok.carb would require a 3 inch scoop.

I would custom wire my guages...not really worried about ac or ps..my car hasn't had ac since I havbe owned it....I was reall looking for this 351 swap to be very cheap do to almost all the modding being done by myself. Still not really sure what I am gonna do atm..but I will figure it out within the next day or 2. Thanks for the input.keepem coming.