what went wrong?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
OK final torque on those should be 80 ft-lbs.
1st sequence- 35 ft/lbs
2nd Sequence- 55 ft/lbs
Final sequence- 75-80 ft/lbs
Or wing it for the first two passes but try to get it close . Use their lube or your torque specs will need to be different.

^^Final torque is 75 to 80 lbs. Unless that guy is wrong too.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok well just a quick update. I emptied the coolant and the oil and I cannot see any water in the oil or the water so I'm vary confused.

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
Did you have the head checked for warping...usually you do this after it's been overheating in any car with an aluminum head.

Also, you need to check the top deck of the block with a straightedge for flatness. A car that utilizes a metal headgasket requires specific deck prep in that the deck is almost polished smooth.

What about the head bolts? Did you reuse the stock bolts or use new ones? The stockers are torque to yielld= 1 use only

Maybe you could have a shop do a leakdown test...that'll determine if you have a crack or leak somewhere.

Throwing ideas out there...good luck

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Ryan_V;1476552 said:
Did you have the head checked for warping...usually you do this after it's been overheating in any car with an aluminum head.

Also, you need to check the top deck of the block with a straightedge for flatness. A car that utilizes a metal headgasket requires specific deck prep in that the deck is almost polished smooth.

What about the head bolts? Did you reuse the stock bolts or use new ones? The stockers are torque to yielld= 1 use only

Maybe you could have a shop do a leakdown test...that'll determine if you have a crack or leak somewhere.

Throwing ideas out there...good luck

when I had the head off I checked for warping but I couldn't see any. I don't know to much about the deck but it looked clean and smooth. I checked for scratches but it looked good. I did reuse the stock bolts but I thought they were good for 2 or 3 times. and a good shop is always a good idea but the problem with that is I live in a small town and the clostest shop I would trust even a little is over an hour away. I don't want to tow my car all that way if I can fix it. thanks for the ideas.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Poodles;1477129 said:
No, you don't reuse torque-to-yield bolts AT ALL.

ok then. I guess thats most likely my problem. I should really be more careful in the future. so if I do a compression check and the bolts are the problem I should have bad compression right?

hurricanehyshka

Aug 4, 2005
edmonton
If you have bad compression, it is more then likely the bolts are gonna already look like a small problem in relation to one big one!
I suggest starting with a leak down test. Everyone screws up big at least one, so if you did dont sweat. Its only metal!