What VP Fuels' methanol grade to buy?

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
For the ones I am asking, you should be aware that VP Fuels has three different methanol grades, M1, M3 and M5.

Which one is best when running a water/methanol set up? The purer low grade or the higher grade with the additives?

I pasted the info from VPs site below.

M1™ M1 Racing Methanol has a99.95% minimum purity - the highest purity available in the U.S. With M1, engines run cooler and are less subject to corrosion. VP uses only lineddrums which prohibit rust, corrosion and metal deposits that can contaminate fuel delivery systems. Recommended for all methanol-legal racing applications.

M3™ Like M1, M3 starts with methanol of the highest purity, but includes lubrication and combustion additives for an extraboost. M3 offers a wider range of jetting options, making jetting easier and more consistent. For bracket racers, variations inET from run to run will be substantially reduced. With better tuning and cleaner, more efficient combustion, M3 makes more power and yields better throttle response than any standard methanol on the market. M3's improved combustion also reduces the noxious fumes associated with methanol fuels, so it's much easier on the eyes and nose. For 60-70% of methanol applications, M3 won't require jetting or timing changes-just pour it in and get an immediate performance improvement in all areas. In the other 30-40%, M3's added vaporization may actually hurt volumetric efficiency and performance, which is what lead to the development of M5. M3 is not pure methanol and won't pass a water test.

M5™ M5 is simply the best performing methanol on the market. With its upgraded combustion additives, M5 will make more power than M3, i.e., 5-7% more power than standard methanol, while offering the same or better protection against detonation. Like M3, M5's improved vaporization offers a wider acceptable range of air/fuel ratios and tuning. It also yields faster combustion speeds which lead to closer EGT's from cylinder to cylinder, providing more consistent performance from run to run. M5 is not pure methanol and won't pass a water test.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Personally, while I may not understand what the additives are in the M3 and M5 methanol mixtures, I would certainly appreciate knowing so one of our more chemical knowledgeable members would have something to work with and possibly make a recommendation.

For what it is worth, you can run it with only water as well, can you not? If you're unsure of your choice just yet anyway... won't see the full benefit, but should still be some.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Thank you Sir Brad for a bump and reminding me to update this as i have answered my own question with help with a friend who is also running W/M in his GTI. We got slow at work and since hes the supervisor we were able to play on the computer and do some chemistry investigating.

So onto my findings,

The M3 has little additives but the M5 is rich of oxygenating additives and is intended to be ran in purpose built engines as the primary fuel. It should not be ran in injection kits as the additives will oxidize the pump and will cause it to fail prematurely. M1 is pure methanol is supposedly the purest stuff you can buy, and for alky / water methanol kits THIS is what should be used.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good to know sir. Have you happened to get prices on that yet? I can imagine a 5-gallon container would probably last your average street driven car for a decent amount of time. I think I might have a local source on VP fuels for stuff like this actually...

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Last time we talked he said he's waiting for quotes, most likely the same price as the website which is around $38, I'm almost out so I have pick some up from kellerstrass oil co today, they have there's for $33 ish.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That doesn't seem all that bad to be honest. How long does a 5-gallon methanol container last you? Obviously conditions will vary, but ballpark?

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
te72;1899934 said:
That doesn't seem all that bad to be honest. How long does a 5-gallon methanol container last you? Obviously conditions will vary, but ballpark?

The methanol container? Shit.. a long ass time. I have the 5 gallon tank in the car which I mix about 60% meth 40% water and that will last me 3 months and and I'll fill the tank about 3 times with one methanol can.