What upgrades next?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Okay, I've heard many 'o this and that on this subject.

Going off my base knowledge... very limited and very simple... let's see here.

**1j head gets better air flow being one thing...

**2jz being a 3.0 instead of a 2.5...

Stay with big turbo... or get some twins going again?

just like being in a toy store dreaming of what to get... I am pretty much trying to figure exactly that.

Thanks to the wonderfully amazing people at Majestic installing the standalone ECU... I believe I am good on that. The thing is a monster beast!

I need to take the car back to get the rear sub-frame re-enforced... most definitely!

Then plans for a wide-band sensor... why I need it? I don't know... someone here said I needed it.

Then... the radiator... that being too easy a job to do.

yet... what other stuff should I look into?

Bigger injectors? Electric cooling fans to get rid of the clutch fan? Dual Fuel pumps or single?

OH! Still fascinated by the greddy FMIC... thing is so hot!

So many options... to imagine I thought the standalone ecu would be the end of my upgrading... yet... it only opened a whole new perspective on this all.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
a wideband is nice to have so you can keep an eye on your AFR's.
single > twins
larger injectors definately
hydro fan > all others
Crower cams > stock

Get it tuned properly and enjoy.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
well, right now I have the TT cams... sheesh... I guess I need to find out the differences between the two...

So fans a must with radiator... okay

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
full engine cryotreated

fully built 1jz head with
1mm oversized valves
10k rpm valve train
portmatch and polish
AEM adjustable cam gear(exhaust only)
equal length headder
GT40-82 turbo .94 A/R
3.5in exhaust turbo back no cats
turbonetics newgen wastegate
680cc injectors

fully built bottom end 2jz
TT lower compression pistons
TT rods
clevitte 77 bearings
balanced and blueprinted

XTD Ebay clutch <-- I know it's bad... oops, didn't do research... DARN!

4:10 torsen diff
31X12X4 custom intercooler
dual hks SSQV
ARP head and main studs, rod bolts and flywheel bolts

electronics
walbro 255 fuel pump
AFPR
Greddy Profec E-01 Boost Controller (being replaced by haltech boost solenoid)
autometer boost, water temp, oil pressure, EGT gauges, and a fuel pressure guage (currently broken)

B&G lowering springs
koni yellow adjustable shocks
cusco rear strut tower bar
6pt custom roll cage

Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 Standalone ECU on the way.

Haltech Boost Controller on the way.

Waiting on tune.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
tekimp;1466768 said:
full engine cryotreated

fully built 1jz head with
1mm oversized valves
10k rpm valve train
portmatch and polish
AEM adjustable cam gear(exhaust only)
equal length headder
GT40-82 turbo .94 A/R
3.5in exhaust turbo back no cats
turbonetics newgen wastegate
680cc injectors

fully built bottom end 2jz
TT lower compression pistons
TT rods
clevitte 77 bearings
balanced and blueprinted

XTD Ebay clutch <-- I know it's bad... oops, didn't do research... DARN!

4:10 torsen diff
31X12X4 custom intercooler
dual hks SSQV
ARP head and main studs, rod bolts and flywheel bolts

electronics
walbro 255 fuel pump
AFPR
Greddy Profec E-01 Boost Controller (being replaced by haltech boost solenoid)
autometer boost, water temp, oil pressure, EGT gauges, and a fuel pressure guage (currently broken)

B&G lowering springs
koni yellow adjustable shocks
cusco rear strut tower bar
6pt custom roll cage

Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 Standalone ECU on the way.

Haltech Boost Controller on the way.

Waiting on tune.

know i have a longer wish list dam....:aigo:

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
hey... how does the hydro fan work anyhow? Saw someone selling that on the FS section... but no clue how it works... is it just another fan for the radiator?

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
tekimp;1466827 said:
hey... how does the hydro fan work anyhow? Saw someone selling that on the FS section... but no clue how it works... is it just another fan for the radiator?

i love it so fa i hear its good to 800 hp .you just have to run the hydolic lines there is a hydrolic cooling line you run on the front bumber. then you run the line to the pump and fan its really easy i was surprised. if you need pics i can post some thursday ill take pics of all the lines

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Sounds like you have a good start. Yes if you have a standalone you need a wideband 02, you cant tune without it. Haltech makes a nice one that works great with the PS 2000 ecu. I would just get some 264 cams, a real clutch (twin plate) water meth kit and most importantly BRAKES !!!!!. The stock brakes are awfull on these cars with anything more than 300 HP. The first time you hit full boost on the GT40 you wont be able to stop. Once you have brakes. SO DO IT, GET BIGGER BRAKES!!, Then get it tuned at 20-25 psi with water meth and smile.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
2nd person to say I need a wideband... I don't even really know why yet... something about altitude?

Ugh... Someone says I don't... another says I definitely do... what is it? I can hold off on that for now right?

I was told the ecu can be tuned without it.

NUTS!

All confused again....

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
im sure there is a sensor that will youll just have to look for one that will work for your set up i know that will be my next piece is a wideband then stand alone. i wanna redo the turbos steel blades and see how much they will boost then .. :evil2:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Lol, thats a pretty nice list you got there. About the only thing left that I would do, is brakes, water/meth, wheels/tires and make sure the body has some good paint on it.

Oh, and drive it. That is key.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
SO EXCITED!!! I swear I could almost piss my pants, I'm so excited!

Gonna get my car soon!

Majestic Motorsports fixing up the car right! No more worries at all!

They even found a problem I almost forgot about.... the GT4082 turbo has so serious shaft play on it... my friend here (the tech) pointed it out a month after I got the car... the propeller shaft could be pulled in and out a good 1/4 inch (actually more now, I think).

So Majestic is hooking me up with a (hardly used turbo)... a 67 trim... which is totally fine with me.

Do keep in mind, I asked them to make sure this car would be road worthy and ready for my long haul trip to Texas and back prior to my deployment... and they are doing one hell of a job. I can wait to do my final review on this shop... it will be a good one.

When diagnosing the car, the shop made sure to actually go and take the extra time to make sure everything was alright. I thought it would only require a quick look over (me being such a newb)... THANK GOD THEY DID TAKE THEIR TIME!

Let's see... bad rear sub frame... bad turbo... yeah... other people would be sad about hearing this kind of damage... but I am TOTALLY EXCITED! If these major parts were to have failed on the long drive... I would be screwed.

SO HAPPY!

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
tekimp;1466945 said:
2nd person to say I need a wideband... I don't even really know why yet... something about altitude?

Ugh... Someone says I don't... another says I definitely do... what is it? I can hold off on that for now right?

I was told the ecu can be tuned without it.

NUTS!

All confused again....

A wideband tells you what your air/fuel ratio is, aka whether your running rich or lean. you dont need one to get the car tuned cause any dyno will have on there to tune it with. you need one for you to look at to see in the future if something goes wrong.
I would also recommend upgrading your fuel pump.