What to do with my situation?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Skip down to the question if you don't want to read all of this..

Ok I might as well start off with the whole story.. I ordered a JDM engine from tigerjapanese.com, paid about $2100 shipped to my door within 2 weeks. The engine was complete with harness, ecu and was said to be with ALL SENSORS! I even got a Trust 3" dp with it (which will be for sale, any interested? :naughty:), and there were lines for an ebc. Immediately checked the turbos, blown to shit:
p1485304_1.jpg

p1485304_2.jpg

There was a harness already on the engine, no igniter or map sensors, wait did I say sensors, I thought it came with those!? Nope, they were chopped off, even the clips:
p1485304_3.jpg

I did get a complete harness and ecu as well as the harness already on the engine, the other harness is a chaser harness, with the igniter and map connectors butchered as well. I knew it was a risky buy when I ordered, and even posted a thread on here, and was told it was better to find an engine from someone personally, not to go through a JDM import place. My friend had ordered one from somewhere similar before and it was fine, and in every other case I have heard from friends, it has been fine, so I chose to take the risk. I stripped the engine and checked it out, compression test was not accurate because of the numbers (I cranked it by hand), but all I was looking for was consistency and it was. Cut open the oil filter, drained the oil and there were SOME small shavings, not too bad. Took off the oil pan to find more, and there was. Being that I'm moving to Phoenix in 8 months for college, need as much money as I can get and doubtfully be able deal with any other big problems, I decided to rebuild it. At this point I'm at where I was with the 7m, and thinking with the money I'm putting into this I could of had one badass 7m. Long story I know, but there was more. I have searched and posted a WTB already, it hasn't been long but I just wanted to check out my options first.

Anyways my question, since the connector was cut off for the igniter and most likely going to be impossible or at least hard to find, is there any other options for me besides buying a new harness? I have already recovered a map sensor and clip with some wire left on it to be wired in, thanks to Rob on the forum.

jdc4357

Nov 18, 2007
missouri
I would contact tigerjapanese.com and tell them you have started a thread on this website about an engine that you purchased from their company. From a customer service / PR standpoint, I would think they would want to take care of you and resolve the issues you are describing and then you can provide updates on how well or bad they are to resolve the problem in the thread.

I was thinking of purchasing an engine from them down the road, but with what you have showed I now think otherwise, and thats not good for business. But I will keep an eye on your progress.

Good luck.
jamieC

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
i seen there website before...why didnt you get it from dm last time i looked they had a 1jz with r154 2500 and you would know its legit if you bought from them....just a thought..can you return it and get your money back or would you have to pay for shipping...?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
airhead04;1485337 said:
I would definately contact them. If they dont give you a new harness, hit up Dr Tweak, aka Pheonix tuning. He can more than likely rebuild that harness for a fair amount.
QFT. This guy is a magician when it comes to finding connectors that everyone else thinks are discontinued or just plain impossible to get.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
DM didnt have one, I called and emailed aaron and he said he was only going to be getting clips in and he didn't even have those in yet. He never got back to me on that either now I think of it. Ok I have been talking to them, a lot. They said send the turbos back and they will replace them, no thanks, I told them I would not do any business with them again. I might just do it though, so I can have that set as a spare or to sell. They offered to sell me an igniter for $300 hahaha, once again no way! If you go to their site, it says engine as sold in picture, the picture showed a full harness, on the engine. It does say it includes ALL SENSORS if you read the list on the right side. I printed the page in case I had to get into any legal issues with them, so they couldn't change it up. They told me they will not replace the harness, it guaruntees only the harness around the engine not the rest, when I called before to make sure the harness was uncut and it included the igniter and map, I was told yes. They took over a month to respond to my claim, and now I'm still battling with them. I am only asking for compensation on the turbos and harness as of now, yet no reply, that was a week ago. I told them if they wouldn't give me compensation for the turbos, then to send a return label because they wanted me to send it back and have to pay the shipping! The engine is at the machine shop as we speak, so I can't return it now.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Oh wow, I completely forgot about asking Dr. Tweak. I will do that. Don't think I have tried going after them, it is just hard when they are in Canada and I am in the states. I guess I don't understand the whole legal cases, but my mom was a legal assistant for a long while, she does all the talking. Theres not much we can do, well to my knowledge since they are in a different country, is there?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
dubsupra: do not order from them, let alone anyone and spread the word!
jdmenginescorp.com is where my friend ordered his 2j from and his is running, so if you have to, I would say that is your best bet besides finding an engine locally or from a member, or DM.

enawazh

May 8, 2007
long beach
If its just those two plugs that are busted then you could fix them yourself. They should just splice in. As far as the avalon ignitor goes, dont quote me but it should splice right in.

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
i have a 1jz ignitor 115 shipped plug and play same with a map sensor and ecu... all came from my 89 1jz supra.

also make sure you have the noise filter for the ignitor or your car will run like poo

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
First off, I ALWAYS make major purchases on credit cards because it is much easier to cnacel the payment thru them (ie. file a dispute) and then it forces the seller to hold their end of the bargain.

Second, the map sensor is a legit claim, but techincally, the ignitor is not. It is an ignitor, not a sensor.

Get what you can from them through negotiations, because if you have to start dealing in legalize with them, you are more than likely going to lose.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
slow_sc3: is that including the connectors from the harness, I need that as well.

rakkasan: I do understand that the igniter is not a "sensor" but when I called they said it was included with the harness as with the map sensor. I didn't recieve either, or the connectors on the harness, they were chopped off, I'm guessing with the items themselves. I am trying to negotiate with them, I don't want to get into any legal issues as it will cost much more than the price of the turbos, harness and sensor/igniter let alone the whole engine since they are out of the country. It is hard to deal with and very frustrating, they take forever to reply and when they do, I don't get very much of a reply. Like last time, they simply said: "send the turbos back and we will replace them", and pretty much said for everything else you are screwed. That did not answer any of the questions I had for them, I just asked for compensation of the harness and turbos, if not then send a return label for them to get replaced.
I can make the harness work with some additional money spending in fixing broken or cut wires, re-lume it and get those connectors on, so I'm not as much worried about that anymore, but I feel like I just spent $2100 for nothing, besides getting the block and harness, other than that everything needs replaced and cleaned up...

So anyone ordering through any jdm companies be careful, and I would not order through tigerjapanese.com!

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
So my mom checked on the Canadian Business Bureau about tigerjapanese.com, their "grade" was an F. They have had 24 complaints within 3 years, now I wish I would have known about it before I ordered. I still have not gotten a response, so my mom emailed Mike- the manager of tiger and also had resent our response along with a new one. Besides filing a claim or complaint on the Bureau, which we might be doing, is there anything else I can do? I know there have been people that have went through this or somewhat simialr, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
*james*;1488891 said:
So my mom checked on the Canadian Business Bureau about tigerjapanese.com, their "grade" was an F. They have had 24 complaints within 3 years, now I wish I would have known about it before I ordered. I still have not gotten a response, so my mom emailed Mike- the manager of tiger and also had resent our response along with a new one. Besides filing a claim or complaint on the Bureau, which we might be doing, is there anything else I can do? I know there have been people that have went through this or somewhat simialr, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

typical.... people usually check with the BBB and other consumer orgs after their money is long gone... Then they file a complaint that someone else will read after it is too late.....

Buyer Beware!

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I had never even heard of the BBB, I haven't said anything about the company yet, if they either replace the parts like they say or give me some money back then I most likely won't say anything bad about them at all. I'm just asking what I should do instead of write bad things about them, that won't get me anywhere and most of the time it justs make the buyer look like a fool.