What to buy That is the question

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
So this month i'v finnished all the general repairs on the supra. now its mod time. but what to buy oh what to buy.

i have boost leak so a new IC and piping would be nice since i was going to upgrade the IC anyway. but thus england sucks for supra parts :( and shipping from the us is insane. i was going to get some stuff from driftmotion but the shipping was £400 alone.

i can easily get a FMIC here in the uk but there not mk3 specific it would be universal and universal pipe kit don't know how hard this would be to fit though? any idea's?

Another buy is the harnesses and harness bar also a rear strut brace.

There my 2 choises for this month but im just unsure on which to go for.

What would you go for?

in the end i'm going to need all of the above. its just this month i'm going on holiday with the gf so kinda can only afford one of the 2 choices

BOOO haha

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
What mods are you already running and I'd say neither are going to make a Day/Night difference.

A rear strut brace is just about as useful as a waterproof towel, and I've heard time and time again that running harnesses without a full cage and shit hot bucket seats is not only a waste of money, but dangerous too.

From what I gather the universal intercooler and piping kits can butchered to fit without too much hassle.

Have you considered getting just the piping from Driftmotion and the IC from here?

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
i'v got buckets in already Build thread and iv got a T4 turbo to go on lowered on springs and kyb shocks exhaust, intake, boost controller, stripped rear end, (hense harness bar and strut brace) i know strut braces don't do much on double wish bone but its more for the looks and the safety in my last car crash the car crumpled only to the strut brace then the brace stopped it. also harnesses saved my life according the police :) i don't trust normal seat belts anymore but yea. haha

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
well if you think i can use a normal Front mount intercooler as long as the dimensions are right although the entry and exit on the IC will be at the other side will this make a difference or can i just use the piping as normal maybe route it behind the IC?

Cheers

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
This is what i meant by the ic routing. yes i made tjis at work whle eating my sandwich :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
To add on to your safety harnesses...

Yes, the thick belt designs are much better than a standard seat belt. No arguments.

But make sure you understand, if you bolt your upper seat belt harness straps to anything other than a harness bar or roll cage, you're putting both yourself and your passenger at jeopardy.

I say this because if you bolt them directly to the body and it's anything LOWER than shoulder/neck height, If you get into a front/rear end collision, that harness is going to buckle DOWN and crush your spine.

Just an FYI. We don't want any more dead or paralyzed for life Supra owners.

Most universal kits aren't going to have the right angles and even lengths to go all the way around your IC back to the hotside of the engine.
You will most likely be needing to do some cutting/welding...but if you've got access to these, then it won't be a problem. :)

Jeff

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well here is another thing to consider.

After you mod. How much money will you have left over? Enough to cover things breaking? Because once you start modding. Parts WILL start breaking. So make sure you understand that if this is your only car. Keep modding to a minimum ;)

as for the "sway bar". Even in a rear end collsion. Won't do squat in this car as if the "car" (and really a truck) can buckle the rear end of this car that much. You will have bigger things to worry about like your life.

Stock seat belts in a stock car.

Harness should ONLY ever be used as a system (ie bucket seats, cage/roll bar) as a harness without a cage is pointless as stated by Boost Lee.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Do you have a FFIM? Do you plan on getting one?

If both are "no", then you should opt for an intercooler that has the inlet and outlet on the SAME SIDE.

As far as what size piping you'll be going with, take a look at my thread in the SME section title "how much does the 7M breathe under boost?" or something along those lines. That should let you know about how large of piping you should get for your specific application.