What should my coolant temp be?

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
A lot of really good info here. I like. :D . So then I'm thinking for a more or less stock engine, the best thermostat would be an o.e. type (195*F, Offset, with jiggle pin) ?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Another concern I have is this...In the summer, my coolant temps can get as high as 220-225 when in a lot of heat and AC going at low speed/idle, then after I take off, and clutch fan speed increases airflow, the temperature comes down a bit, maybe to 200 or 210. In doing this, hasn't the pressure in the cooling system dropped? When the engine temp rose to 225, coolant expanded and pushed into the overflow, now I am driving again coolant cools off and contracts, leaving me with less than cap specified pressure in the system, leaving me potentially prone to boiling. How can that be avoided?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Let's say you have the stock 13 psi cap on your radiator. There will always be 13 psi (or less) pressure in the cooling system. Above 13 psi the spring in the cap opens and pushes coolant into the overflow until the pressure is relieved down to 13 psi, then it closes again. When the cap is shut all the way coolant is sucked back into the cooling system from the overflow tank. It's a self-regulating process.

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
Has anyone ever used a mishimoto 86-92 supra racing thermostat? is this good to use?

◦Direct replacement to factory thermostat
◦Promote greater cooling efficiency throughout the engine by lowering tempurature after the enigne is fully warmed
◦Allows coolant to flow through the engine sooner thus reducing and maintaining cooler engine temperature
◦Activation temperature is set at 64º C compared to OEM's 90º C
◦Great for modified and upgraded turbo applications

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Most stock supra's I see hit 210 to 220 in the summer at peek temp

upgrade cooling system are in the 180 to 190 zone in the summer at peek temp

these are all using auto meter gauges

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
I have an AEM water temperature gauge and my coolant temp. on my 7M (during the summer) was around 190º normal cruising and it would hit about 200º/205º when boosting.

The stock thermostat in the 7M-GTE operates at a temperature of 190ºF

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran an 88c in my 7M, at cruise it would hover on 88, under boost it would max out at 91c, around town in Summer with the AC on it was about in the Middle, one thing I found using E-Fans with the Turbo LS Chev was you need to get them in a little early to "cath" a rise or it'll run away.

On the 7M I also ran an e-pump to maintain flow at idle and to cover cavitation at 8000+ rpm.

IrkinElite

May 17, 2010
California
I had just replaced my water pump clutch fan thermostat and radiator cap. and my coolant is still wanting to boil into the overflow and out onto the intercooler...
As soon as I reach my destination. if it is more than a 10 or so minute drive, If i pop my hood i can hear the coolant boiling inside the radiator... I am all out of ideas so i just searched for coolant boiling and found this thread!
Any other ideas as to what my problem may be?
Im just running a stock 89 7mgte

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Either that or have you checked if your rad is actually cooling properly? I replaced my stock radiator that looked like it could have been the original radiator with another stock replacement, and my coolant temps dropped almost 20*F. The old one had so much crap in it from past BHG's and who knows what the previous owners put in there... stop leak etc.

IrkinElite

May 17, 2010
California
New update on coolant boiling in car but it not overheating!!!
Just heard bubbling and flowing coolant from behind my dash... and I can smell it.
Maybe a bad heater core hose or something was the source of all of my troubles?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Well, if there is any air in the system you will hear it in behind the dash, doesn't have to be a heater core problem.

Check for wet carpet in the passenger footwell, that's the most common place to find leakage if you've got heater core problems.