What should I do next?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
Hey I have a currently stock 7mgte in my 92 supra. I am currently doing a 5 speed swap and after that I would like to do a few mods to the car. my goal is just to run mid to low 14's for now. Im going with a light weight fly wheel with the swap so hopefully that will help a bit. I want to start with intake and turbo back exhaust, but Im concerned about my headgasket situation. My motor was rebuilt by toyota about 20,xxx ago and is very healthy. Should I pull the head gasket and do it before I do light mods or will it be ok? Also can I retorque a headgasket with 20,xxx miles? I know these questions may have been answered somewhere, but Im looking for a specific answer for my situation.

any info appreciated,
Steve

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
92Turbo said:
Hey I have a currently stock 7mgte in my 92 supra. I am currently doing a 5 speed swap and after that I would like to do a few mods to the car. my goal is just to run mid to low 14's for now. Im going with a light weight fly wheel with the swap so hopefully that will help a bit. I want to start with intake and turbo back exhaust, but Im concerned about my headgasket situation. My motor was rebuilt by toyota about 20,xxx ago and is very healthy. Should I pull the head gasket and do it before I do light mods or will it be ok? Also can I retorque a headgasket with 20,xxx miles? I know these questions may have been answered somewhere, but Im looking for a specific answer for my situation.

any info appreciated,
Steve

14s isn't much at all. Start with a solid solid solid base car. It wouldn't hurt to re-torque the head bolts to at least 75ft/lbs, but if its running fine, then don't touch it. Defintely get a 3inch exhaust and intake. That should definitely get you into the 14s.

For a 14 second car, the stock headgasket is more than enough for it.

I'm going down the same path, start with solid base, then light mods.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
IJ. said:
Go through the car and do all of the little maintainence items first :).

All of the maintenance has been done within the last year by a toyota dealer. I would have had the work done somewhere else If I knew about the HG torque issue at the time. I have had people say different things about re-torqueing a stock head gasket.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i would guess if the Toyota dealer rebuilt the motor,they more than likely fixed the HG prob that plauges our motors. a stock motor is capable of 400 hp on up,it's all about what add-on's you put on the intake,ex, and ignition.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
92Turbo said:
All of the maintenance has been done within the last year by a toyota dealer. I would have had the work done somewhere else If I knew about the HG torque issue at the time. I have had people say different things about re-torqueing a stock head gasket.
Yep I've read mixed replies on this as well!

Personally if it wasn't retorqued within the first 500 miles and hasn't blown in 20.000 I wouldn't risk doing it at this stage.

If it were me doing it and considering your goals I'd pull the head throw a good composite HG like a FelPro and some ARP Bolts at it then button it back up retorque it after a few heat cycles just for the peace of mind.

(You can't be sure Toyota didn't have one of their trained monkeys do the work)

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
I dont know ,the lead tech at the dealer said that the head gasket had been a problemb with the 7m since day 1. I was going to have them just fix the BHG when I took it to them, but he insisted on doing a full rebuild, and having the block and head machined. I took his advice only because he helped me get a major discount on the rebuild. I still worry about the HG though after hearing so many horror stories. also i try to stay away from shops these days so if I do the HG, I will try to get some local supra guys to help out.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
IJ. said:
(You can't be sure Toyota didn't have one of their trained monkeys do the work)

The work was done at the dealer by the lead techs...I was there several times duirring the process.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
IJ. said:
As I said above for my own peace of mind I'd redo it myself.

I prolly will, since I dont have a BHG I can just pull the head clean the block and toss a new gasket on with some arp's correct?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Check it with a straight edge and feeler gauges to be 100% sure!

Really good cleanup with a sharp scraper using it at a low angle so you don't gouge the head and if everthing's flat you're good to go!
(this is with a Composite HG)

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
bigal0043 said:
u should be able to run a 14 on ur stock car.. just watch for that hg

we will see i went 15.29 at 93 with my auto and a shitty 2.4 60 ft

hotsup

Jan 24, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Interesting that you took it back to a Toyota dealer to have it repaired. (Sounds crazy)That is the last place I would take a Toyota for servicing/repairs. I wouldn't even take my Camry there. Your choice buddy.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
hotsup said:
Interesting that you took it back to a Toyota dealer to have it repaired. (Sounds crazy)That is the last place I would take a Toyota for servicing/repairs. I wouldn't even take my Camry there. Your choice buddy.

Yea interesting...I took a toyota to a toyota dealer

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
you have to do the little steps first before you can get up there in the high HP/Low e.t. times. why not take the Supra to a Toyota place? his mechanic said the HG was the problem with the 7M, so he mustve known to retorque it to at least 75 ft lbs?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
SupraDreamPDR said:
you have to do the little steps first before you can get up there in the high HP/Low e.t. times. why not take the Supra to a Toyota place? his mechanic said the HG was the problem with the 7M, so he mustve known to retorque it to at least 75 ft lbs?

He seemed to know his shit, as he had been working for toyota since these cars came out. He said even in the late 80's he did a bunch of head gasket jobs, but he doesnt see many mk3's at the dealer these days. But im not sure what it is torqed to so for peace of mind im gonna have to do it my self.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
If it was done by Toyota did they use the factory spec torque??? I would be worried if it was. Like IJ said get a new gasket and some ARP studs spend a weekend doing it and put your mind at ease. Also do what IJ said about taking pics and labling all your bolts.