What oil cooler, relocator are y'all using

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Just like the title states. I'm looking for a kit. what are you running? Or is there a need for one?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'm making my own. All the kits out there suck besides te cooler it self. I'm using a big cxracing cooler canton block and filter adapters and fittings and hose from summit with a mocal stat. About 600$ but everything is legit. Te canton pieces are expensive but there heavy billet pieces and very worth the money.

Doing the same with the ps system with a magnefine filter and tube adapter fittings an fittings and hose from summit.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I'm using a Mr-Gasket oil filter relocation, with Earls thermostat and cxracing cooler.
The braided hose and AN fittings cost more than anything else. My suggestion would be to plan the whole system out on paper and take measurements so you dont have to spend any more than you have to.
I did mine for $300 but already had the cooler.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Any of you running coolers know what your oil temps are?

No cooler here and the highest my oil temps have ever gotten is 110 °C / 230 °F.
Which was a WOT hwy pull (30-40 sec)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ill be using a 180* stat and prolly see consistant 190* temps. 230 is a bit on the hot side.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
OneJArpus;1757113 said:
^Do you have a thermostat to keep the temps @ a certain range? IIRC 212/220 is optimal as it burns off condensation and impurities built up in the oil.

Nope, I'm running the stock "cooler" with the GREX adapter to a remote mounted filter via -10 line.

hvyman;1757120 said:
Ill be using a 180* stat and prolly see consistant 190* temps. 230 is a bit on the hot side.

At 190* you're oil will be too cool almost, like mensioned by Arpus 220ish* is optimal in the fact that the oil cleanses its impurities. Plus with running full synthetic it takes more abuse.
Running up to 230* was on a long WOT pull. It stays in check at about 200 all day once warmed up.

Do any of you know what your temps are?

Sam

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
87mgte you are using the stocker that is coolent cooled? That's kinda what I was wondering. Do the stock one do the job? I'm not gonna be racing it much mainly just a weekend cruiser with some balls 650 HP max.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The stock cooler depends alot on how well your cooling system works. If you have a massive radiator that's keeping your coolant temp in check then the stock oil cooler will work better than if you have a stock radiator and your coolant is borderline overheating. The nice thing about the stock one is that it works to warm the oil up faster using the coolant, so it's better for short trip driving than a fluid to air cooler. I wouldn't eliminate it if doing an aftermarket cooler.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock cooler sucks.

If running a full flow system a 180 stat is plenty. Oil temps will be hot so it will always be working so your temps will be around 200. You don't want oil to be too hot where it will break down too fast but you don't want it to be too cold where it will cause damage. Just because it won't have any moisture is kool but hotter temps is bit good.

You will still have blow by no matter what.

Ij told me to run a 180 and in going off his experience and running all legit parts.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
S.A. supra;1757558 said:
87mgte you are using the stocker that is coolent cooled? That's kinda what I was wondering. Do the stock one do the job? I'm not gonna be racing it much mainly just a weekend cruiser with some balls 650 HP max.

Yes, it does the job very well

Some will tell you to replace it with a full flow cooler with t-stat n all, which is a bit over kill for a street car..
I would definately invest in all that if I road raced my car regularly.

Sam

Master Bator

Oct 4, 2009
Lethbridge
i have a one on my car. unsure of brand, came with car. but it doens't have a thermostat and my oil temps don't get high at all. it almost makes me want to get rid of oil cooler, but then i wonder how hot it would run with out them.

i did an 8 hour road trip, non stop and it never got hotter than it does just driving around town.

ill get a temperature for you tomorrow. i can't remember what the gauge read

Master Bator

Oct 4, 2009
Lethbridge
Ok i was a bit wrong. Maybe will keep the cooler. It reads roughly 80-90 degree Celsius, so about 174-194 Fahrenheit.

I just don't like the no thermostat for cool mornings, then it takes a while for oil to get hot