What is this step for?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Maybe, but may as well go back and do it right, or else you might/probably will have to go back to do it again later

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jmcboost;1317496 said:
So I should be able to do it without taking the head back off right?

Hate to tell you this, but you will need to pull the head.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
OK, So will the felpro crush gasket need to be replaced too? I have not started the engine and just tightened the head down last night. I just dont understand how the HG wont seal this and if not then why I cant do it with the head on. Just seems like the HG covers the whole mating surface of the head.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE needed to redo his and I helped him (or watched him, haha) pull just the lower timing covers and it worked just fine. Although if you haven't run the car yet, pulling the head would be just as easy.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If the HG has not been run, you can use it. The HG will not seal for oil in those areas...you will have an oil leak unless you are very, very lucky. Pulling the head is just as easy (all you have to do is lift it) as removing the rear timing cover. Removing the rear cover will require new gaskets to seal against the block.

You should read this...applies to bolts as well:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1317551&postcount=3

If you are using stock head bolts, you want to go to 70-75 ft/lbs of torque.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
OK, makes sense. Thanks for the help!! Just figured the Felpro might leave some of the gasket material on the surfaces when I lift the head up. So if the engine has not been ran the gasket hasn't really locked on to any surfaces yet?