What is a reasonable price for this?

bassboost

Jan 29, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hey all,

I'm looking to sell my Supra, and need opinions on how much to sell it for.

Specs
1990 Toyota Supra
7MGTE
5spd
115,xxx miles
Targa Top
Reconstructed Title(No evidence or noticable effects) Haven't ran a carfax.

Mods
3in exhaust from downpipe back
Tial BOV
Apexi Cold air intake
FMIC
Greddy Timing Belt
HKS Headgasket
18in TSW Thruxton wheels, on pretty new tires
KYB Struts/Eibach Springs
Indash Pioneer DVD Player
600watt amp
2 10in kicker subwoofers in boxes
Full infinity and alpine speakers.
8000k HID Kit
Cooling plate

Interior is pretty mint, only prob is drivers side door panel has sun damage cracks. Carpet has stains, has original supra floormats in great condition. Everything in the hatch is there. Even have most of the original tool set.
Only rust is on the rear quarters which I'm in the process of repairing. Has a new clutch, windshield, battery. Runs strong, however needs valve seals. I will replace that. Im going to be including Shine Auto over fenders too. The car will come primer gray, prepped for paint.

Pics before primer.
wi3spk.jpg

2a5yq2t.jpg

34s55oi.jpg

I was thinking maybe like $4500? Would that be fair?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
As a young know-it-all :sarcasm: who's bought and sold a few cars, I'd say that title could REALLY hurt your sale value. If I'm looking at buying a car and I find out it has a savlage title or the like, no matter how good it looks, my cash offer is cut in half.

Good, clean title I'd say 5 grand.

Salvage, maybe 2500.

I know you said reconditioned, not salvage, but in my eyes that's basically salvage unless I personally know the repairman and his work.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Hate to see that factory pearl white paint now just primer. Least You would get is about 3000.00 with that recondition title and leaking valve stem seal.

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
If i go on craigs list in my area I can find supras in worse condition then this selling for around $5000. If you keep the paint the way it is I wouldnt see why someone wouldnt buy it besides the title.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
strikeis;1449096 said:
if i go on craigs list in my area i can find supras in worse condition then this for sale for around $5000. If you keep the paint the way it is i wouldnt see why someone wouldnt buy it besides the title.

ftfy ;)

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
man...before the title i was thinkin 6 or 7k because of all the $$ you put into it...looks like you took real good care of it.

run that car fax for sure...but i'd leave it at 5k firm and someone will pick it up. i just bought a mk3 that looks as mint as that with a fresh paint job...and stock as hell for $3700. not a messed up title though.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Yes, the primer job would make it look like a 'work in progress' rather than something a parent can buy for their child and let them drive it from day 1. Looks good though, and I would say 3500-4500 firm. Good luck with sale!

Later

HLFV

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Like Moy said, theres a big difference between something selling for 5k and something for sale for 5k. I can put my parts car for sale for 5k, but noones gonna buy it.
The salvage title and the primer are a big hit. Otherwise this car could sell for 5k. Now Id say 2k.
This is why I say dont primer the car until your gonna paint it.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
bassboost;1448256 said:
Reconstructed Title

I was thinking maybe like $4500? Would that be fair?

With a clean title, yes. With a salvage or a reconstructed title, not even close. Maybe about half that amount.

suprarx7nut;1448263 said:
As a young know-it-all :sarcasm: who's bought and sold a few cars, I'd say that title could REALLY hurt your sale value. If I'm looking at buying a car and I find out it has a savlage title or the like, no matter how good it looks, my cash offer is cut in half.

Good, clean title I'd say 5 grand.

Salvage, maybe 2500.

I know you said reconditioned, not salvage, but in my eyes that's basically salvage unless I personally know the repairman and his work.

Cutting the offer in half is the right move, however, knowing the repairman or his work doesn't increase the value of the car. Any kind of title besides a "clean" title automatically lowers the value of the car by 40% or more.

Push;1448311 said:
...Title hurts resale a lot...

StrikeIS;1449096 said:
...I wouldn't see why someone wouldn't buy it besides the title.

The title is the main problem here. I'm an insurance agent, and I can tell you from experience that a salvage/rebuilt/reconstructed/assembled/etc. title will automatically lower the value of a car by 40% or more. The car can be in pristine condition and look brand new; but if the title to the car is anything but "clean", the value of the car nosedives.

When buying a used car, always find out what condition the title is in. Any condition other than clean and clear needs to be priced accordingly, or my suggestion is to walk away. There's no way anyone should pay market value for a vehicle with a dirty title, when that title automatically lowers the value of the vehicle by 40% or more.

Buyer beware!

Last edited:

Mc319

Nov 6, 2009
Plainfield , New Jersey
its a beautifull car no doubt about that
i would say keep it white if i were the buyer
yes but the title would give me second thoughts
title definately affectin yu man good luck on the sale