what i saw on a four banger

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I saw this at my local H.E.B. I looked across the parking lot and saw a guy working on his car, with the hood up. I couldnt tell it was a tool box or a turbo till I rolled up on him. NOPE!!!!!!! it was A turbo off a Volvo Tractor on his four banger. Heres the pic.
p1750484_1.jpg

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
volvo_motormuseum_39.jpg

and dont forget the volvo aslo had the radiator sized intercooler attached to that thing. though that turbo does move alot of air, very well tuned for it size.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Monster in disguise? If there's one car I've learned not to underestimate, it's old boxy Volvos... That intake manifold doesn't look stock to me either.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Here's my 740 turbo:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stock turbo, 2.5" exhaust, chipped ECU's and 16psi of boost on E85 = mid to low 14's, and yes, on an unopened engine. And I can outbrake just about anything out there.
Oh yeah, it's an auto too. Interesting fact, the Volvo four bangers use a trans which is pretty much a Toyota non electronic 4 speeds.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Typhoon;1751579 said:
Here's my 740 turbo:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stock turbo, 2.5" exhaust, chipped ECU's and 16psi of boost on E85 = mid to low 14's, and yes, on an unopened engine. And I can outbrake just about anything out there.
Oh yeah, it's an auto too. Interesting fact, the Volvo four bangers use a trans which is pretty much a Toyota non electronic 4 speeds.

Not bad at all man, not bad. Aren't the Toyota autos basically just a Borg Warner of some sort? I don't know much about them.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
te72;1751908 said:
Not bad at all man, not bad. Aren't the Toyota autos basically just a Borg Warner of some sort? I don't know much about them.

Aisin Warner, so pretty much Borg Warner under licence. You can do the same mods, even the accumulator shimming.
The beauty of the stock turbo setup on a 740 is stacks of midrange torque. They feel like a large six stock, maximum boost comes in around 2200 rpm and stays there till 5000 rpm. My car has been optimised for midrange torque, hence the stock turbo still being there.
To be honest, the stock Volvo 8v heads aren't much chop over 6k, they need LOTS of work past that and frankly, you are using turbo pressure to overcome poor head design for high flow. All the really fast Volvo fours have the 16v head grafted on.