What do you think of this "Street Series" clutch from South Bend? Rated at 520lb/ft.

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
Been really happy with ours over past two years. Only at 320+rwhp, but butter smooth engagement and no slip. Exact same setup SB SS 6 puck sprung hub. Have had ACT, RPS, OS Giken, all stiif, harsh, chatter, slip, break, etc.. SouthBend best value and most streetable, and durability good so far...

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
tsupranami;1710162 said:
Been really happy with ours over past two years. Only at 320+rwhp, but butter smooth engagement and no slip. Exact same setup SB SS 6 puck sprung hub. Have had ACT, RPS, OS Giken, all stiif, harsh, chatter, slip, break, etc.. SouthBend best value and most streetable, and durability good so far...

This is so cool. See, back in 1998, internet was just beginning. CJ has his Supra page up. There was 'some' info out there, but truly, it was very limilted. SOGI was already formed, but I didn't find all of that until almost 6 months after driving around a stock Supra. Now, it's a whole different ballgame. You all are an awesome resource for anything Supra. I did all kinds of stuff that I would differently if I could go back and do it over.... oh WAIT! I AM going back and doing it over again. lol.

thanks tsupranami, and thanks OneJArpus.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Funny how the internet has changed everything in the last 15 years, isn't it? I know I wouldn't be able to keep my car in the shape it's in, and would probably have made a lot more 'oops' over the years without this forum. :)

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
Ive got a stage 2 southbend clutch and im pushin close to 400, it feels a little bit heftier than stock, but not enough to make it hard annoying during stop and go traffic, its a smooth setup, but its a really awesome clutch, ive had no issues, no slipping or any bad performance and ive put mine through the ringer basically. on transmission #2

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
The southbend clutch sounds a lot nicer for a DD car. Im using an action 6 puck with upgraded plate and the chatter it makes down shifting to second gear engages the abs. I can deal with it and not down shift to second and brake more but it would be nice to not have too.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I've been recommended to try their Stage 1 for $360. I was told it would handle more than stock boost just fine with no slipping. Can anybody else chime in on this?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
enjoi.this;1711172 said:
The southbend clutch sounds a lot nicer for a DD car. Im using an action 6 puck with upgraded plate and the chatter it makes down shifting to second gear engages the abs. I can deal with it and not down shift to second and brake more but it would be nice to not have too.

Try revving your engine up ~1000-1200 rpms as you downshift from 3rd. When you let out the clutch it should be a bit smoother...

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
te72;1711350 said:
Try revving your engine up ~1000-1200 rpms as you downshift from 3rd. When you let out the clutch it should be a bit smoother...

Im lazy sometimes and in bumper to bumper traffic I do not opt to make myself look like a revvy ricer.

By saying this, Im only bringing up the point of having a clutch that drives like stock. I know I can do all these things to make it not chatter but what If I dont want too?? Then I buy a south bend clutch.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good point sir. I try to time my downshifts so that I'm not beside people when I do it. Not like I'm daring people to race me or something, but some tards take it as a challenge and I'm left scratching my head...

That said, why is downshifting causing your car to shudder that much? Are you skipping gears and ending up at high rpms when you downshift? Not trying to criticize, just trying to understand why a downshift would cause your abs to engage like you mentioned...

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
te72;1711761 said:
Good point sir. I try to time my downshifts so that I'm not beside people when I do it. Not like I'm daring people to race me or something, but some tards take it as a challenge and I'm left scratching my head...

That said, why is downshifting causing your car to shudder that much? Are you skipping gears and ending up at high rpms when you downshift? Not trying to criticize, just trying to understand why a downshift would cause your abs to engage like you mentioned...

Just guessing... but it may be an inproperly installed clutch. Even the stock clutch gave me great problems when I had it replaced with a brand new stock kit from factory Toyota. The pedal would shutter and pulsate and it had significant chatter when downshifting. Multiple requests to have the dealership check it resulted only in frustration because they always gave me the ol' B.S. line "That's just normal. These clutches are real heavy and that's how it's supposed to feel."

Then finally I had them install a TRD clutch kit and didn't ask anything special. Problem gone. Pedal was buttery smooth again and zero engagement chatter in any gear.