What do you think about Eagle Rods

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Don't worry, I still love you IJ! :)

I did hear stories about the Eagle rods, but they have long since upgraded the bolts included with the rods, and the blueprinting is something that should be done on every 7m build. I still think they are far stronger then stock and well worth what they sell for. Not everyone can afford $1200+ rods, and if they are going to be nowhere near the limit of the Eagles, why spend more money?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Show me a 6 cylinder making 1200 let alone 1500 hp on out of the box Eagles.....

1500 "might" be happening in V8's where the loads are shared across 2 more rods. (and I'd seriously doubt they're out of the box Eagles at that)

If you're NOT shooting for big HP why bother changing rods at all when stock correctly prepped rods will do the job? (esp if you have to pay to have the Eagles checked and can't trust them out of the box, I STILL had my Pauter's checked as I don't "trust" anyone)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Oh man, of all the people who would say not to over-do my bottom end, you would be the last one I would have picked LOL

Too many stock rods have failed at not much over 500whp for me to push it and take my chances with the whole engine.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I talked to an MK4 owner a little while back who was using Eagle rods. He said that he was making 850rwhp and had over 100 10-second 1/4 mile passes. He also said he was using the ARP2000 rod bolts that came with them. His opinion was that as long as you stay under 900rwhp(on a six), you should be ok with the Eagles.

That was enough to convince me that they are good enough. Not to mention how many Turbo mustangs making over 1K rwhp have used them.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ian, I'm going to have to disagree with you buddy :D The Eagle rods are a very solid forged rod.

Pauter Rods:
4340 Vacuum degassed Chromoly CNC machined rods
3/8" bolts rated @ 220,000 psi tensile strength.

Crower Rods:
4340 Chromoly CNC machined rods
H11 Tool Steel bolts rated @ 220,000 psi
*UPGRADE* AMS5844 bolts rated @ 280,000psi (hadn't seen these before - This is ARP's ARP3.5 material - which ARP rates @ 270,000 psi)

Eagle Rods:
4340 vacuum degassed Chromoly CNC machined rods
ARP 2000 bolts rated @ 220,000psi

Carrillo Rods:
"Carrilloloy" This is our proprietary blend of USA ingredients, comparable to a 4340. - Weird. If anything, I'd be asking for a metallurgical discussion of Carrillo rods - nobody else claims to be blending their own alloy. Especially weird if 'it is comparable to 4340' - you guys are in business to make money - why not just use 4340, if it's comparable?

I can't find any information on Carrillo's bolts, either. Again with their own nomenclature - "3/8 CARR bolts". Although in the catalog it says they can get the bolts in various alloys, including H11 tool steel - which is around 220,000 psi.

In my observations, various manufacturers' rods differ in design, weight, final tolerances, bolt sizes - but almost never in actual material.

Honestly, Pauter and Eagle are the only ones that specifically state they use degassed 4340 steel - they would be the only rods I would use. I've never used Carrillo rods myself, but I have heard they are kept to exceptional specification.

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/membersonly/april98/features/vacuum/vacuum.html

I'm going to call ARP on those AMS5844 rod bolts though - you can never have too much strength in the bottom end ;)

FYI as well, that's why I've always used Eagle over Scat - Scat cheaps out on the bolts (8740s come in them) and they don't use degassed steel (well, they didn't as of about 5 years ago)

Anyway, that's just one man's meager opinion on the rods. :D Eagle rods only downfall has always been their final specification tolerances, and NOTHING goes into my engines without being triple and quadruple checked anyway, so they get the machining they need ;)

FWIW, I've got a set of Eagles next to me, that will be run in my own setup.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Well things have changed on the Eagle front in the last couple of years then guys....

Always good to get an update and if the information is accurate they seem to be a good buy now. (way back when I attempted to research them there was almost NO information available)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, the Eagles have definitely come a ways - they aren't as bad with the tolerances as they used to be.

That said, they still aren't perfect out of the box - unless you spend the money on Pauters or the like, you NEED to verify all measurements on them.

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
Doward said:
That said, they still aren't perfect out of the box - unless you spend the money on Pauters or the like, you NEED to verify all measurements on them.

Very True

When my block build was being done last year, the machinist commented about how perfect the Pauter rods I provided were. In fact he was so impressed by them that he had to share the information with everyone else in the shop. I asked him to explain, he said that the total weight and balance of each rod was perfect (at least very well within tolerance). They build a lot of V-8’s and most of those build ups use Eagle rods and sometimes Crower. They weigh each rod and then the ends of each rod to make sure that everything is uniform. He said that the Eagles usaully need to have the total weight corrected and they always need to have the balance adjusted. However, my Pauters were perfect. If you like the thought of having a half dozen machinists ogle your rods and come up empty handed when trying to find something wrong with them, then get Pauters.

Oscar,

I ordered my as rods as part of rod - piston package through HPF or Import Performance Performance. The package cost was a little over $1,500. If you are still looking at Pistons and Rods, suggest you go this route. I think it will save you about $400.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
i think someone did a comparison of an eagle rod to a top end rod with pics, cant remember who. showed the quality wa spretty good on the eagle side, although they didnt get into the specs and tolerances.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
And if the information is accurate.......

And we all know the Chinese NEVER lie about specs I just find it suspect that they say they're using the EXACT same material spec as Pauter.....

oscarsupra

Dec 23, 2006
El Salvador, Central America
Thanks

Very nice info.

Thanks all for the info. :icon_bigg
Doward said:
Ian, I'm going to have to disagree with you buddy :D The Eagle rods are a very solid forged rod.

Pauter Rods:
4340 Vacuum degassed Chromoly CNC machined rods
3/8" bolts rated @ 220,000 psi tensile strength.

Crower Rods:
4340 Chromoly CNC machined rods
H11 Tool Steel bolts rated @ 220,000 psi
*UPGRADE* AMS5844 bolts rated @ 280,000psi (hadn't seen these before - This is ARP's ARP3.5 material - which ARP rates @ 270,000 psi)

Eagle Rods:
4340 vacuum degassed Chromoly CNC machined rods
ARP 2000 bolts rated @ 220,000psi

Carrillo Rods:
"Carrilloloy" This is our proprietary blend of USA ingredients, comparable to a 4340. - Weird. If anything, I'd be asking for a metallurgical discussion of Carrillo rods - nobody else claims to be blending their own alloy. Especially weird if 'it is comparable to 4340' - you guys are in business to make money - why not just use 4340, if it's comparable?

I can't find any information on Carrillo's bolts, either. Again with their own nomenclature - "3/8 CARR bolts". Although in the catalog it says they can get the bolts in various alloys, including H11 tool steel - which is around 220,000 psi.

In my observations, various manufacturers' rods differ in design, weight, final tolerances, bolt sizes - but almost never in actual material.

Honestly, Pauter and Eagle are the only ones that specifically state they use degassed 4340 steel - they would be the only rods I would use. I've never used Carrillo rods myself, but I have heard they are kept to exceptional specification.

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/membersonly/april98/features/vacuum/vacuum.html

I'm going to call ARP on those AMS5844 rod bolts though - you can never have too much strength in the bottom end ;)

FYI as well, that's why I've always used Eagle over Scat - Scat cheaps out on the bolts (8740s come in them) and they don't use degassed steel (well, they didn't as of about 5 years ago)

Anyway, that's just one man's meager opinion on the rods. :D Eagle rods only downfall has always been their final specification tolerances, and NOTHING goes into my engines without being triple and quadruple checked anyway, so they get the machining they need ;)

FWIW, I've got a set of Eagles next to me, that will be run in my own setup.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
oscarsupra said:
Somebody tall me that the stock shot penned rods are better. What do you think about?

Because somebody broke one going over 500hp in his 7mgte motor.

:1zhelp:

It is not enough to just shot-pein the rods, that is a secondary procedure.
You first have to make sure your rods have no cracks, or internal flaws by having them magna-fluxed.
Then when you know you have a good starting point, the face of the beams need to be ground, to remove all the stress riser points
(the rough surface down the sides from when they were sheared out of the original forging)
All the grinding needs to be in line with the rod, not across it.
Then polished (to remove even the grinding marks).
And finally, shot-peined.
The shot-peining renews the tough skin that the rods originally had from the forging process.

Fail to do the primary steps, and you don't gain anything.
Failing to shot-pein a rod that has been ground on,
you end up with a weaker rod than stock.

And I do have a set of fully prepped rods.
Magnafluxed, polished, balanced, shot-peined, and ARP rod bolts.
Never run, had been installed about the time that Eagle came out with their chinese specials.
Contact me if you want them.

I do think the Eagles are better than stock
(after you go through and make sure they are right - spend more $$)
But I never would have bought them if I knew where they were coming from.
I love how the US manufactures are selling their souls to the people's republic of cheesy! (NOT!)
They keep farming crap out to china, who's going to be left with a good job in this country to afford their junk??
(sorry, I tend to go off the deep end on this subject)

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
IJ. said:
And if the information is accurate.......

And we all know the Chinese NEVER lie about specs I just find it suspect that they say they're using the exact same material spec as Pauter.....

Ain't that the truth !
Hell, 90% of the junk on eRip, that is coming out of the people's republic is claimed to be from Japan, like the mystery metal XTD flywheels......

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Even though eagles are made the same way as pauters, they are just not as heavy and stout as the pauter rod. Kinda like a dime and a quarter.
Pauter on the right in every photo
p652403_1.jpg

p652403_2.jpg

p652403_3.jpg

p652403_4.jpg

p652403_5.jpg

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
suprarich said:
Even though eagles are made the same way as pauters, they are just not as heavy and stout as the pauter rod. Kinda like a dime and a quarter.
Pauter on the right in every photo
QUOTE]

wow....... thanks for the pics...... however, the eagles sure look beefy to me! clearly not as stout as the pauters, but they have some serious mass to them non the less!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
a guy i know x-ray'd and tested stock rods vs upgraded v8 rods. not sure of the brand of v8 rods. but, our stock rods were better quality than the v8 upgrades. and, found that our stock rods contain a small % of titanium.

if anyone cared, i could maybe see if he would test some eagle rods.