What did you do to your supra today? Pics

WuLover25

Feb 18, 2012
Garden Grove, CA
Well I didn't exactly do it today but I did this yesterday...finally changed out my ghetto-rigged front end the previous owner put on and installed a genuine Turbo A front end...
p1923880_1.jpg

p1923880_2.jpg

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
I finished to assemble my supra. bought it dissasembled so was little complex for me, now it works. idle is smooth, starts quite good. but there are ticking :D actually can really hear only in interior :) gonna post video later maybe ull tell me what it is. hope its not BOMB :D

20130318_005100.jpg
20130318_004951.jpg20130318_011701.jpg20130318_004924.jpg

davidlkirby

Sep 5, 2006
Chattanooga, Tennessee
i picked up my new hatch bumpers from toyota. i was so anxious to see if it would stop my hatch racket, i ripped them out and screwed the new ones on in their parking lot

XhBeBrT.jpg

at least in my '87, the screws used have a metric #8 head, if you pull apart the old stops to access the screw heads, you can use a socket drive on them.

yWacwQt.jpg

the moment i shut the hatch the first time i knew it was a total improvement. no more crazy squealing from the back. it was so bad, it was embarrassing to have a passenger ride along. wish i did this 8 years ago

davidlkirby

Sep 5, 2006
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Doat;1924138 said:
I still get squeaking even after I changed my hatch stops though it is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

I speculate that the hatch hinges make the squeal. When I put the new rubber stops in and closed the hatch, the 'thud' sound was solid and firm, as if the rubber had a new firm grip on the hatch lid so it couldn't shimmy at all. I wonder if you could adjust your actual latch mechanism so it holds the hatch down against the rubber stops tighter.

I also just remembered that when I screwed my rubber stops in, I started both screws, then used my free hand to push the bumpers up as high as they could go as I tightened the screws. I think tight fit and rubber grip are the key here. (I had my targa off, but i also have 10 year old tokikos, so I don't think my ride is very firm)

If it were me and none of that worked, I'd look into lubing those hinges somehow

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
davidlkirby;1924163 said:
I speculate that the hatch hinges make the squeal. When I put the new rubber stops in and closed the hatch, the 'thud' sound was solid and firm, as if the rubber had a new firm grip on the hatch lid so it couldn't shimmy at all. I wonder if you could adjust your actual latch mechanism so it holds the hatch down against the rubber stops tighter.

I also just remembered that when I screwed my rubber stops in, I started both screws, then used my free hand to push the bumpers up as high as they could go as I tightened the screws. I think tight fit and rubber grip are the key here. (I had my targa off, but i also have 10 year old tokikos, so I don't think my ride is very firm)

If it were me and none of that worked, I'd look into lubing those hinges somehow

I do also need to replace my hatch cable because I cannot open my hatch unless I use the key.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Doat;1924211 said:
I do also need to replace my hatch cable because I cannot open my hatch unless I use the key.
Before you replace anything, triple-check that you don't just have the hatch locked. On my '89 you could turn the key the other way, and then you couldn't use the cable pull. I think that it was supposed to be some sort of security with the valet key, because the valet key doesn't work in the hatch and glovebox. (Not like anyone with access to the doors couldn't grab stuff from the hatch easily enough anyway. Makes more sense with a real trunk without a pass-thru.)

Replacing that cable is such a pain... I installed a cable puller and put a button on the floor beside the seat where the pull was. Bonus, I also connected it to the alarm/starter, so I could get keyless access to the hatch as well. More convenient and less hassle. At least it's easy to disconnect the non-working cable and keep the one that connects tot he key cylinder, since they're separate at the hatch striker.

I'll probably still replace the cable next time I pull the interior out, but it's been a few years already.

edit: Oh yeah. Took the targa off today, just to see. (First day of Spring, and all) and I like it. The open air is very nice. The car becoming a wet noodle... Not so much.

Last edited:

arashi

Aug 17, 2011
AL
changed the oil today. only to find out that the threads on the housing was re-threaded a bit same with the oil filter. so now i have to figure out what thread they are to change the filter. YAY! :: angry ::

also on a side note. thank you toyota...I'm sure many of us owners love the tight placement of the oil filter =]

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Drove it on the street for the first time since buying it and restoring the interior and getting it painted. After putting 6 months of work on it after school and work till 2 am on it. It felt great to pull onto the rd.

Ohh I got it registered and inspected today to

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Zrain25;1924406 said:
Drove it on the street for the first time since buying it and restoring the interior and getting it painted. After putting 6 months of work on it after school and work till 2 am on it. It felt great to pull onto the rd.

Ohh I got it registered and inspected today to

Pics or it never happened...

spooln6cyl

Mar 28, 2011
Auburn CA
just recieved in the mail my new speedo cable(s) along with my hatch bump stops as well. then decided to pull the trigger on some suspensinon parts. new mounts for my new kyb's. ball joints and eibachs awating install! working overtime isnt very condusive to installing new parts but it sure helps in having the $ to stockpile..

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
DustinS;1924509 said:
8576551565_1366a082f9.jpg

Still up in the air about the results. The needles don't look nearly as bright in person.

You need to use narrow angle smd leds 0603 on a little chip just like I do for my kits...

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
yhatzee89;1924517 said:
Pics or it never happened...

I was trying to take a pic of me hanging out the window face full of excitement and all.. But the wind and trying to shift and steer and take a pic at the sane time was hard. Lol

I'm taking her to school tomorrow il take a pic for u buddy cuz we all know it never happened without pics