What did you do to your supra today? Pics

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
AbsoluteSpeed;1912961 said:
Well that’s your opinion isn't it?
I personally like the look.

I don't really dislike the look that much, but I don't see how it's an improvement over stock lighting. If anything I would think its worse because of the yellow tint? Am I completely wrong in this assumption?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
There's a whole technical discussion over how light behaves in fog. Needless to say, the foglight requirements in the US are not as stringent as compared to other countries. Yellow light does in fact not refract in fog as much as white light. I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
aka paco;1912901 said:
Do they still have a Jhot in texas?

We had one in south carolina a few years back I picked up a soarer 1jz swap in excellent condition for $1096 tax included.. plus I was able to pick it up in person.. when the one in sc closed I remember they kept the texas location open. Has been a couple years though they might be closed by now...
Just looked it up they closed their Texas location too, I'd rather pay the extra and get it from Aaron at driftmotion since I know it will be a great motor from him.
Numba1Stuna;1912974 said:
Check these guys out, they're in Texas and have 100% positive feedback. There are a couple companies on Ebay located in Texas with fair prices.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=160966604279

Sent from my G2X
I will check them out I am looking for a 1jzgte vvti thanks for the suggestion hopefully great reviews come up about them

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Doat;1912977 said:
Just looked it up they closed their Texas location too, I'd rather pay the extra and get it from Aaron at driftmotion since I know it will be a great motor from him.

I will check them out I am looking for a 1jzgte vvti thanks for the suggestion hopefully great reviews come up about them

Call Aaron, if he doesn't have one I'm sure he can point you in the right direction

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
DOUBL3 D;1913005 said:
Call Aaron, if he doesn't have one I'm sure he can point you in the right direction
Yea when I get to actually buying the motor, gaskets, etc. I will be more aggressive with the hunt and check out Aaron first.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
yhatzee89;1912970 said:
I don't really dislike the look that much, but I don't see how it's an improvement over stock lighting. If anything I would think its worse because of the yellow tint? Am I completely wrong in this assumption?

I see what you mean now.
Yellow light doesn't project as far a white light. People like the yellow bulbs for purely aesthetic reasons.

If you want to improve lighting look into Lexus fog lights. I can't find the thread right now but you can get brackets to retrofit them into a supra.

aka paco

yhatzee89;1912943 said:
I didn't know JDM made up for shitty look and lighting?

I personally like the look, yellow fog lighting is actually supposed to be better in foggy or rainy situations as it reflects less light back..

I am not going to pretend to be a lighting expert, my 01 lexus gs430 and is300 both had factory yellow fogs as do many other cars. I just think the yellow fogs look cooler, same reason I lowered my car and put staggered wheels on it, just my personal preference on looks..

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
AbsoluteSpeed;1913014 said:
I see what you mean now.
Yellow light doesn't project as far a white light. People like the yellow bulbs for purely aesthetic reasons.

If you want to improve lighting look into Lexus fog lights. I can't find the thread right now but you can get brackets to retrofit them into a supra.

Ok I guess I can see the point now, I guess I just always used them as driving lights vs actual fogs. I'll have to look into this Lexus fogs though

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Any of you haters ever consider that yellow light operates at a different wavelength then white light and dose not reflect back as bad as White light does? It has nothing to do with penetration rather reflection. Think I am full of shit . Hit your high beams in the fog see how far the light penetrates.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I miss my Lexus fogs like crazy because they were much more usable. Science aside, they worked well. I lived in dark areas of country side with few street lights. The Lexus fogs were a huge improvement in light spread side to side and had an excellent cutoff.

They also worked very well in snow. I don't know if the yellow contributed much, but the cutoff certainly helped

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
For what it's worth, yellow light DOES project farther in fog. Blue light refracts and reflects back at you (Like, why the sky is blue, right?) so you see a nice wall of fog in front of the car instead of seeing anything on the other side of the fog. It really makes me shake my head when people want "whiter" light for the fog lights, since that's provably less useful. Yellow really does make the most sense.

Actually, "whiter" light for the headlights is actually inferior in performance in terms of being able to actually see anything. Brighter is good, but a higher colour temperature doesn't help, and actually worsens your night vision for seeing anything outside of the headlight beams, since the iris contracts more for the blue component in light than for any other wavelength. (This is why night vision map lights are red.)

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
Yellow light provides much better visibility in inclement weather which is the reason a lot of cars in european countries have yellow fogs as well as headlights and highbeams. So yellow fogs are actually a safety improvement not just for looks.

images

aka paco

IRACEMYCOPCAR;1913292 said:
Yellow light provides much better visibility in inclement weather which is the reason a lot of cars in european countries have yellow fogs as well as headlights and highbeams. So yellow fogs are actually a safety improvement not just for looks.

images

damn straight lol..

looks like we both need to update our sigs HA