What color to paint my flushmount lenses to clean up the look?

What color to paint my flushmount lenses

• Total voters

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
So I've been debating whether or not to paint the underside of my flushmount lenses like my previous setup was to hide part of my lighting setup and I've come to the conclusion that I must paint them. So the question is, what color to paint the underside of the lenses? Black like the previous setup? Since the paint will be from the bottom for the best look, the first coat is the only coat. Any subsequent coats are simply to fill in any spots that were missed. For comparison here's a pic of my current setup and my previous setup.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I'm gonna have to go with color match Adam. I think it fits better with the original look of the car. The black causes a contrast with the lines. When you looked at the old setup it didn't look bad by any means, but something just didn't seems to flow with the rest of the car. You knew the flush mount wasn't a normal part of the car, and it didn't really need the black to highlight that. Personal preference if for a cleaner look and I think a color match will accomplish that. Your personal preference may be for something that does stand out a little more. In the end it's up to you.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
From what I've read you need a primer coat to apply OEM colored spray paint. Hmmm, maybe I should paint the top instead of the bottom. The OEM spray paint option is within my budget. What do ya'll think I should do? Should I paint the top of the lenses instead of the underside?

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Actually if you go to an automotive paint store you can get a pint of good quality paint for $30-$40, Then you can use an airbrush to paint it. You can even use a cheep air brush to do it, they work good if you are only using them a few times, after a few uses they are screwed. Or they have one use things that are bottles you put the paint in and an pressurized can on top where so you can use good paint like a rattle can. I would say do the outside because you are gonna need to prep the surface with some 1000 grit or lower sand paper and a good cleaner to get it to stick properly.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Adam,

After seeing your car in person, honestly I think you need to finish off the area above the projectors with more sheet metal so they are completely covered (the light housings) then paint the entire inside which is visible through the plexi glass black, that would make for a much cleaner, finished product.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bright super hot pink!

Oh wait, you want super clean and cool not gay!

I would lean most strongly towards color matched but a little photochop can get you a lot of testing done. A light grey may look fairly good as would a charcoal possibly. I kinda like the accentuated black in some ways too. Makes a bold mean statement to those that see you in their rearview mirror coming up on them, similar to how the bold slash across the front of both the MKII and MKIII does.

But I would have to say for a clean look, which I know you work very hard to achieve color matching would be my top choice.

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
Flateric;1602236 said:
...I kinda like the accentuated black in some ways too. Makes a bold mean statement to those that see you in their rearview mirror coming up on them, similar to how the bold slash across the front of both the MKII and MKIII does...

I agree with Flateric here. The black looked good on your previous setup, and I think it offers a good contrast with the rest of the car and accentuates the clean look of the flushmounts. Just my .02