What color should I paint my MKIII....

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I'm broke and will be rollering my car using the "$50 dollar paint job" method using rustoleum paint.

What color would look the best on this car? I don't want a gloss black car (I've had too many), and red is out (rustoleum red is known to fade), so is any color of green (ugly) .

The car has a really faded, banged up and badly sprayed recoat (times 4) of the original light mettalic blue on it right now. I'm going to sand it down to the original paint, and coat over that. I'm leaving the underhood and interior (which is gutted from the front seats back) this color cause the paint there is fine, I'm just painting the outside and the jambs.... so I'd prefer a color that doesn't look awful with that color blue.

Here's a link to their color charts...
http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=150
http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=24

I'm leaning towards the "sail blue" but maybe that's too bright...? I was even considering the semigloss anodized bronze, but I don't know how that would look rollered (metallic paints usually only look right when sprayed).

Anyway.... opinions?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah, it's just rough to get a place to spray the car. There are no rental paint booths around here. The local body shops don't rent them out either.

I was considering spraying a single stage urethane, in white. I could get enough to paint he car for about $60. I have a non-HVLP spray gun (could probably borrow an HVLP), and an 80 gallon shop compressor, I just don't like the idea of spraying the car outside or in my shop. The paint on the car right now is full of bugs and is peeling cause the guy did it himself out in his yard. I'd have the DEP all over my *** if I painted a car outside my shop, so outside is a no go. My shop is used 5 days a week to fix cars for customers, and even on the weekend it's rare to have the whole shop empty so I can paint a car. I'd have to make a makeshift paint booth just to keep overspray off the toolboxes and other equipment, that's extra money and time spent building it that I don't have if I'm going to paint a car in 2 days by myself (and have the shop cleaned up for monday morning). It'd be nice if I had a garage at my house, but I live in town and park on the street.

The whole reason for a cheap paint job anyway is that it'll end up getting ruined within a month by some little kid riding his bike carelessly, or by some ignorant person parallel parking "by feel". Living in town and only having street parking sucks. The plus side of using rustoleum is that I can touch it up in five minutes with a spraycan. Cause eventually, some kid IS going to ride his bike into some part of the car, or someone is going to punch a hole in my front bumper with their tow hitch again.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I personally vote for clear. Haven't seen that one done yet. I have seen the Chrome look and the Gold look but not clear....lmao try painting that one fucking Maaco

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
Charcoal Gray, if you're determined to use RustOleum. You may have to put a layer of primer on first to get a good bond, even with sanding.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
You do have to use primer with that stuff. Rattle canning it needs to have a good coat of primer. I would use the rust stopper primer. I have 2 cans of the stuff here and it is GREAT! I do agree on the grey color for the DIY rattle can job.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
I haven't used the rust stopper primer so I may need to look into it. The RustOLeum automotive primer does a nice job too, at least for small repairs. It can be color-coated within an hour, depending on drying conditions.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I just thought of an easy way to see what each color would look like on the car... forza 2 on xbox 360 has the MKIII in it, and you can paint the car in the game. It has just about any color you could imagine. I'm going to spend some time messing with that.