What are you using to tune with these days?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I have some funds coming in soon minimal 500$ should be more. Anyways my 7m has been redone and is almost like new running great after the swap. All I have right now is a 3" give or take local shop made, a 3" dpp and is otherwise stock besides the new headgasket with arp studs and torqed and all that, new silicone water lines and new oil lines. I'm assuming the turbo is stock but the boost seems to come on later than most other supras around 3200 or so until it's at full boost. I am hitting fuel cut as well at like 10-13psi my gauge is a cheap one.

I'm interested in doing the standard 550cc and lex AFM. I would rather tune before upgrading turbo and all that I'd like to get decent mpgs still. Still have a w58 so can't do big power really.

I've mostly just looked at the Neo, Maft, and megasquirt 3. I'm mostly leaning towards a neo thinking it's best for me to start out with the easiest setup. But the speed density setup and boost controller ability that the maft offers seems like it could be very useful too.

I also could spend some of the money to redo my a/c system with r134 and paralell flow.

What are your guys thoughts on where I should go? My only outstand issues is a very small water leak somewhere I can't find, probably leaks on the engine and evaporates right away from the heater hose in the back that I can't reach. Also I only hit FC at the turbo efficiency range 3500-4400 area, but after that I can go full throttle without FC, is my na fuel pump falling behind?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Well the lex/550 isn't really going to be giving me any more power so I already need the walbro if you're saying that. Unless you're saying the fuel cut is there because the pump can't supply that much fuel but I thought FC was more because of injectors but wouldn't hurt to have it anyways. I've had plenty say the factory fuel regulator will do fine.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Not sure what you mean by the lex/550 wont give you more power...

Fuel cut is due to the AFM...stock will be between 10 and 12 psi. Nothing to do with injectors or FP.

Stock fuel regulator will technically work with the walbro, but it will restrict the flow and defeat the purpose of the walbro...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Factory FPR is not up to the task of a walbro 255, neither is the j-tube. Also, the lex/550 mod doesn't give you more power persay, it gives you more room to grow.

I'd also look further into why your turbo is being so lazy, my 57 trim is near full boost at 2700 IIRC.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
gsxr141;2012344 said:
i ran the lex/550 combo on the stock fpr and pump. it was kinda rich. car ran fine up to 17psi or so.

Very interesting

I guess that is one thing I have noticed about the Supra community is there are always contradictory information...

to the OP: I guess just go with your gut...

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Yeah that's what I meant the lex/550s doesn't technically give you more power just lets you use what you really have haha. I know about the jtube bypass. My friend who's done a ms3 on a 7mgte and all that says the stock fpr is fine.

Also I should have looked it over more but I was wondering if the previous owner did a turbo upgrade but I didn't look at the compressor wheel before hand, all I know it is didn't wiggle or move around at all. The previous owner had block work done, our toyota tech friend said the whole block has already been redone and they also swapped to an auto in that motor.

But seriously trying to get insight on the tuning for these right now!

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
there are a handfull of piggy backs but for the most part people are going stand alone to tune these days, more options and less stock ECU correcting for the tune.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have the lex/550 with stock fuel system, no problems at all sometimes I get a nice bang from the exhaust but I have to do it on purpose and even then it's not certain. Some people said you need a walbro 255 pump, AFPR and SAFC to run the lex/550 mod I got those except the AFPR but have been running with the lex/550 for over a year almost 2 years and never had issues I even passed inspection here in TX and they drive the car on a dyno at certain speeds and check the AFRs

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I still would not be pushing the old 22+ year old pumps that hard. If the pump gets weak and leans out during a 3rd gear pull, on these stock pistons, you'll regret using an old stock pump.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
atmperformance;2012415 said:
there are a handfull of piggy backs but for the most part people are going stand alone to tune these days, more options and less stock ECU correcting for the tune.

I understand that. A friend of mine was doing the mega squirt 3 msx and telling me how good it is. I was just thinking for my first time it'd be best I'd use the simplist system. Also I'm not running an aftermarket turbo yet so it's a bit unnessecary. I mean I could just go without tune and run a little rich like all other 7ms, just really interested in playing with the settings and all.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Just pull the accordian hose off and look at the compressor wheel?? In 4 minutes u know what turbo u have.
If ur running stock everything forget the piggyback and just let "toyota" tune it. If ur looking to get around fuel cut safely and up the power a bit go with a bigger fuel pump, 550/lex, an AFPR, AND a wideband. Now u have some limited control of ur tune because u can dial in ur fuel pressure in accordance with ur AFR's. Then to start fine tuning and leaning out the mixture to get all the power u can out of it go with a piggyback or standalone. What choice u make there depends on lots of stuff, who is installing it, what all u want control of, budget, etc...

Your in the same boat the majority of ppl with a 7m is in...not much to scratch ur head about over, plenty of data and info out there on any choice

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Oh I guess I never thought about doing some slight tuning with an afr but can't see how that will make a big difference.

Trust me I have tried to get that hose off after I put it on before, but it is stuck on there so hard.