What are these meant for??

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
i have a 87 Turbo. underneath the dash near the steering column are these 3 wires. They're not connected so idk what they are for. My TEMS does not work. IT doesn't even light up in the dashboard. i already replaced the dashboard TEMS lights since i was repairing the dashboard anyways. PO took off the front TEMS covers to put a strut bar. Is this bad? The Rear TEMS have the covers & the TEMS computer is hooked up. The TEMS switch goes to SPORT mode & i push Normal but when i notice later its in sport mode... so im hoping these wires be the problem. :1zhelp:

p1639338_1.jpg

p1639338_2.jpg

p1639338_3.jpg

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
super.secret.supra.club;1639354 said:
those are previsions for a flux capacitor.

those arent tems related

S*** i was hoping it would be. & a Flux Capacitor?? never in my life heard of it.. What is that & what does it do? is it important?

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
a flux capacitor isnt all that important. it kinda depends on your set up. otherwise you'll be ok without it. i havent yet needed one

the TSRM online has the EPC for the TEMS. look on there if your need wiring lay outs.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
Lmfao there is a brief explanation of what a flux capacitor does in "dude where's my car". (spoiler) watching the film will not help you determine what the wires are for. =>

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
This may be before your time, but the original reference to the "Flux Capacitor" is from "Back to the Future" with Micheal J Fox, they made 3 of them... It was a made up device for, as stated above, time travel... the SSSC was pulling your leg or being sarcastic... either way, hope that clears it up...

As far the wires are concerned:

2 things the link listed is for 1989, the wire colors are not all the same from 87/88 to 1989
Here is another link for the 87-88, it states UK, not sure of any difference there, I have full manual on cd in which I use.

http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/others/86-88%20UK%20TEWD.pdf

But I will tell you that male and one of the females is connected together on mine and I think the other just sits there... I will try to get under my dash to verify...

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
AFAIK, they are test ports for the hvac system

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

check the diag box under the hood for 2 non oem wires going to it, stuck into the terminals. they dont belong. follow the leads into the passenger compartment where they end. They probably were twisted together and electrical taped. Its a fast trick to keep the TEMS 'Firm' at all times.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
i sure would have like to have seen that joke roll a little longer....that was too funny.....i could have added to that one for some time. oh well.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
just throwin ideas out there. could it be for a turbo timer that was once there? most turbo timers only use 3 wires and are connected around there. again, just throwin it out there

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
actually i just took my timer out do to issues between conflicting alarms and it had four wires and were all in a very similar location....mnracer might have made a good call there. i would look into that