What are the signs of a dying water pump?

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Hey Guys,

My car is starting to over heat. However, the stock gauge never indicates that(does not go past half point). My external (cyberdyne) water temp gauge is the one showing very high temps sometimes, my AEM EMS coolant sensor parameter also does not agree with the cyberdyne, but being that it has to be manually calibrated, I don't really depend on it yet. After reading some threads, I went and checked and realized that the thermostat housing neck and that area of the hood does feel much hotter to the touch than any other area of the hood, it even feels hotter than the turbo area (outside the car). Is that the clue that the water pump died? my temps started rising in the past 2-3 months and it's getting worst now. It really got scary for the first time yesterday on the high way. At first I did'nt trust the cyberdyne, but I'm thinking different now. I'm not loosing coolant, and there's no sign of water mixing with oil or vice versa.

I've never had a water pump fail on me, so I don't know what to expect. Any tips on what to look or do to test the water pump? I will work on it this weekend.

Thanks

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
if the water pump died, youd know it by a full melt down. water pump circulates coolant, no water pump = no circ, no cool. plus a possible whine if not at LEAST coolant through the weep hole, (althouhg ive seen internal impellers break off with out showing external signs) also consider the location of the coolant sensors ( any of them for that matter) are not in the block but out side of it. meaning things get warmer then they actually might display.

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
If the pump was going bad you Would be losing coolant. Bad typically means the bearing or seal go out thus causing the leak.
I want to know if your sure that there is NO air in you system. This could also cause the spotty temp readings In different locations of the engine. Check your system with a coolant pressure tester on a cold engine to verify you have no leaks.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
why lose coolant? not to say you're wrong just trying to understand what else a bad pump can cause and display as symptoms....

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The pump is essentially an impeller connected to pulley on the front of the engine. It has a bearing and a seal, and that's about it.

While I have seen the impeller itself die, it's only happened once that I know of.

In every other case, the seal lets go, and coolant starts to seep out the weep holes in the front. Therefore, losing coolant.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
doh, i was thinking a massive loss of coolant causing an overheat.

you might consider testing the rad cap, then pressure testing the system, if its leaking externally, it will show.

and how often is the system flushed? is it getting hot at idle and in stop and go traffic or on the highway at a steady cruise?