What are the Pros and Cons of Windage Trays or Crank Scrapers

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
That's what I'd be looking to do and what I think Van as done, increasing capacity of the stock pan. I'm not worried about weight there. I don't see it as a big savings and since it's about the lowest point of the car it's one of the last places to look to save weight.

I didn't realize until helping some race buddies work on their cars that M3's have a 7.5 qt. system stock. They also evidently get the valve tap noise that 7m's will have.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
i did that to my pan, you dont need a write up you just cut and weld the stuff in. my oil system has a capacity around 9 quarts between the larger pan and the two oil coolers

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hey!
The fabricator that is modifing the pan doesn't want to hack into the work done by Toyota, as he said the pan has a "kind of windage tray". So he is working around it and is adding swinging door baffles into the oil pan bulges, purchased through Speedway Motors.
I ordered the Ishi-J, 6M crank scraper, on the 8th of June, through SIP Racing. I'll see the quality (fit & finish), after I get it in the motor. I'll report what the engine builder has to say about the quality of these parts too. Thanks, Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hi IJ,
Interesting question... Contact or noncontact? The SIP Racing web page description didn't specify any other choice beside a crank scraper for a 6M or 7M...
After it arrives I'll let you all know. Van

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
its the non teflon one. the teflon one costs more and is special order. be sure to install the scrapper properly, it has to be filed and gapped

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IJ,
I ordered the listed option online, through SIP Racing; steel, 6M crank scraper. Are there performance reasons to go with the teflon version? Van

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Van: They wipe ALL the Oil off the normal scraper doesn't quite get it all but in the real world I seriously doubt there was be any difference in operation.

This one should be silent the Teflon one wasn't it made a bit of a "flub" noise (think flicking your bottom lip with a finger)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IJ, and forum,
I just received the Ishi-J crank scraper and it is the no-touch type, designed to be 1mm (.040") from the crank.
Now the issue is the fitment, and I'll be sending this off to the engine builder to install. Do you have any recommendations with regard to keeping the engine oil in the engine and not leaking out of the passages caused by the crank scraper and spacer not having a continuous sealing surface (it is a two piece set, scraper and spacer)?
Thanks, Van

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Van: I used some washers the same thickness as the scraper on the end bolt holes and just a dab of 3bond 1207b RTV to hold them in place so I could run a thin bead around the Pan rail then laid the scraper halves down another thing bead around on top of the halves and washers then carefully pulled the pan down in a criss cross pattern and had 0 leaks.

hope this helps.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thanks, Ian. I'll suggest that to the engine builder. Van
IJ.;1353179 said:
Van: I used some washers the same thickness as the scraper on the end bolt holes and just a dab of 3bond 1207b RTV to hold them in place so I could run a thin bead around the Pan rail then laid the scraper halves down another thing bead around on top of the halves and washers then carefully pulled the pan down in a criss cross pattern and had 0 leaks.

hope this helps.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Welcome Van it worked really well each time I did it here :)

I imagine a steel pan would deform badly around the front and rear holes without the washers, I used mine with the Group A Magnesium pan so it wasn't as much of an issue but I didn't like the idea of pulling the ends of the pan unsupported.