What 7MGE exhaust do you like?

emmkaytree

Mar 15, 2013
Illinois
Just picked up a 87 from a dude with all stock exhaust minus a "Big block muffler?", PO's wording lol. I know the mani is stock and the muffler looks stock but it sounds horrible at mid-high rpms. Very very raspy, sounds like a domestic v6 (grand prix with no muffler).. Horrible. A few questions for you guys.

1-Pacesetter header any good? I have heard bad things.
2-What resonator/muffler are you guys happiest with?

Eliminate the rasp and give it that smooth dep tone it should have is my goal. Im going to eliminate the cat and run 2.5" all the way back asap just wanted your guys' input.

Thanks!

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Put a 3in open down pipe on it that will eliminate the restrictive stock elbow. And then run 3in all the way back also. With a good brand muffler

Drift motion sells a good exhaust for these cars it's not that expensive I think it was almost 400 and a 3 in down pipi on eBay is about 160

98BlakTacoma

Jun 1, 2012
Sterling
Also heard pace setters aren't good, i have a stock header, factory resonator, and a glasspack muffler and it sounds mean

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Pacesetter headers do have issues, the o2 sensor bung is not in a "bolt on" location. The pacesetter cat back paired with the header with a cat makes the engine sound like crap, I have heard it before...

Visuals allways help me, here you can see the o2 sensor location is not the same:

70-1157.jpg

p1923582_1.jpg

39861828.DSCF0684.jpg

The best exhaust I have seen/used/heard for the GE by far is the HKS 2.75" dia. Dual Tip cat back. It has a great tone, its quiet when it needs to be, and it doesnt rasp at all. I have a couple photos of it on my old 86.5:

img1284qd5.jpg

img0551yq3.jpg

Basically you want to avoid any exhaust meant for a GTE, they will be to big and will not give you the sound your looking for. Best cost effective option for the GE is buying a bunch of mendral bent pipe and building it your self, or taking it to an exhaust shop to have a system built. If you use one or two resonators with a muffler you could probably get a good tone that doesnt drone on the highway.

emmkaytree

Mar 15, 2013
Illinois
Supra NA-T;1923583 said:
2.5" cat delete custom exhaust with Aeroturbine muffler. Love it and it doesnt rasp.

No resonator? I'm thinking possibly stock mani for now, delete the cat, 1 resonator for now, and some mufler. Not a fan of the dual tips but..

How restrictive is the stock mani? OBX also makes a header that I have seen quite a few people run, any input on that one?