Went to the dyno today and got horrible results - AEM V2 PNP 1JZ

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Have you checked the harness?

On the left side of the AEM screen, do you have any timing errors? It's in the box labeled "timing errors."

PM Alpha on SF, he deals with AEM and tunes them A LOT. I think if it is still breaking up, could be the coils even though they are new. SP had issues with new aftermarket coils, threw in a set of 70K miles stock coils and all was well.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
With the tach jumping around and it breaking up like that, it seems like your loosing sync with your cam/crank signal. I had the same issue with my megasquirt at first. Clean the contacts and move the gap closer and see if that helps out any.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
tmsperformance;1821703 said:
With the tach jumping around and it breaking up like that, it seems like your loosing sync with your cam/crank signal. I had the same issue with my megasquirt at first. Clean the contacts and move the gap closer and see if that helps out any.

I'll see which cam sensor the AEM uses, i remember replacing the plug on the rear senor a while back

IBoughtASupra;1821654 said:
Have you checked the harness?

On the left side of the AEM screen, do you have any timing errors? It's in the box labeled "timing errors."

PM Alpha on SF, he deals with AEM and tunes them A LOT. I think if it is still breaking up, could be the coils even though they are new. SP had issues with new aftermarket coils, threw in a set of 70K miles stock coils and all was well.

I don't have no one close by to test with but i'll see what i can come up with. My close friend all his are badly cracked... anyone else is a 40+ minute drive
I still haven't gotten a chance to check the harness... Need a good space to do it because i dont have a garage. The cam sensors where are tehy shielded? from the connector to the igniter? no where else?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Pulled the trigger and pulled the harness out.

554828_10150640869016658_645681657_9464000_571066576_n.jpg

398325_10150640869786658_645681657_9464005_14006796_n.jpg

So far i've fixed some butchered soldering jobs to the resistor pack, they were soldered but i didn't like the way they looked so i'm redoing them.. i'll be getting rid of the OEM connectors & going directly to the AEM. I'll be removing all unrelated wires needed in the process.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
I did find 1 Brown wire thats not directly connected to a connector, BUT it does have the shielded wire grouneded to it and its grounded to another brown wire. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. I'm removing all the wires i don't need for the AC in the process, the CPS wires all look good, no breaks that i can see. No breaks in any of the ignition wires (relocating igniter to inside the cabin now). All the grounds are there and hooked up with no breaks... weird it must all be in the connector housing. We'll see when its done... (crosses fingers)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Would it be ideal to use microphone wire for the cam/crank sensor? 2 conductor & shielded? I'm thinking of doing this to exclude that the wiring could be bad or shielding. Sucks decisions decisions..

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Did more work today, (changing water pump, i decided to take the Crank sensor out and i found out something weird, i unbolted it looked at it and poof, where the bolt goes fell right off! Exactly where the shielded wire is grounded. So i ordered new sensors and we'll see what happens after i'm done tucking and going thru the wires anyway.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IBoughtASupra;1825808 said:
So the sensor was loose? There is a ground wire on your car that is near the crank sensor location?

What 1JZ do you have?

Supra 1JZ...

getimage.php

Where the bolt goes to secure it, it was broken right next to the sensor, the SECOND i pulled it out it fell apart so I think (not confirmed yet) that maybe with the reving the sensor was moving and thats what would throw everything out of wack. in the mean time i'm trying to find out how the AEM box should be wired to what it is actually wired too right now.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for driftmotions AEM box and how it should correspond with the OEM wiring?

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm having the same problem. no load/load breaks up. 10AFR's NGK BKR6E plugs gapped to .024, stock ignitor, stock coils, Dwell is set to 2.0. running a haltech PS2k. no boost controller. Ran 15psi in my old car with all the same internals. Just pulled out of old car and dropped into new shell with haltech and an engine refresh, cams and AFPR. now under load breaks up horribly sometimes but pulls hard others. so random. will even break up when just cruising too. ideas? Thinking of going 1ZZ coils next paycheck when I get paid for my OT. Just finished reading the entire thread, should I lower mine to 1.4ms? I think I'm going to check all my sensors too especially my crank sensor since now that I think about it I did mess with that sensor when I changed the oil pump. I'll take a look into all of that too.

figgie;1813831 said:
IBoughtASupra

In this instance, it is not about power handling as it breaks up with no load. This points to dwell settings or ignitor is lacking (bad ground, horrible power conncetion, dirty input signal etc).

To the op.

Dwell settings. I can not answer where that is in the AEM system. With that said. Since you are not running CDI, dwell setting MUST be set. This is not optional in a standard ignition system. The 1jz ignitor never autodwelled.

Unknown gap. For all intents and purposes, you could be runnin a .5 GAP and not even know it! Don't eye ball, MEASURE.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You will have to change the dwell. I can't remember what it was, there is a thread on SF with all the info.

All it is a power, ground and trigger(ground). Only the trigger comes from the EMS.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
IBoughtASupra;1829722 said:
You will have to change the dwell. I can't remember what it was, there is a thread on SF with all the info.

All it is a power, ground and trigger(ground). Only the trigger comes from the EMS.

k. thanks, i'll look into it but if you come across it could you post the link please and thanks!

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
ok, i finished the harness and i guess i just f**ked myself. Now it doesn't start, i replaced the CPS' shielded wires, i checked all the ignition wires and moved the igniter next to the ECU, i removed the AC compressor plug and hardwired the AEM to my harness. Power is sent to the dash and all guages, every option works, except the EFI relay doesn't "click" and the fuel pump doesn't have power going to it or the injectors or coils. I checked the power wires going to the FB (12v mod) and it works, the relay at the back of the car "clicks" from the 12v mod but the FP doesn't turn on. I'm at lost right now, Will be checking the power wires going to the ECU and see if its getting JUICE, but i get power all the way to the fuse box, but i'm not getting any power from the fuse box to the EA2 connector.

I did get rid of some ac fan relays right next to the fuse box.

I also tried jumping the fuel pump from the diagbox and no luck. B+ has no power going to the diag box and i did not remove any wheres from there.
Sigh....