Welp it happened

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
After daily driving this and driving it very hard, I'm starting to get a tapping sound in the engine near 2500-3000 rpms under moderate load. Time to pull the engine out and apart to beef it up a tad bit.

I've recently bought a new car so the funding for this will probably take all winter to collect the funds.

Parts will be
JE pistons (Ceramic tops)
Eagle Rods (Stress relieved)
Clevite77 bearings
Lighten and re-balance the 7m crank
Ferrea comp dual valve springs (Cryo treated)
264 BC cams

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i've had that noise for over a year now. i'm assuming it's rod knock, but it hasn't gotten any worse or exploded yet. when it goes i'll throw in the spare i have.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It's understandable when the Driftmotion picture for the Clevite 7M bearings is this:
dlgateway.php

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IndigoMKII;1950926 said:
So it's basically false advertising? What would you suggest?
Genuine 77's have some unique Tech to them, I used NDC bearings in my 7M's they're one of the best of the Japanese bearings are are sometimes in the Clevite boxes, sometimes they're ACL's but ACL don't do their race series bearing for the 7M, now and again I've heard of Kings in Clevite boxes, which I wouldn't use full stop.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
all ive had for bearings is king, and they have their logo stamped in the bearings looks like this: its really just the "I" and the "C" looking part thats stamped in, nothing actually says king.
69543KingEngine_00000027940.jpg

i think ij said he hates that brand because they smear with high load/oil pressure...5k miles on my setup with mild bashing and i havnt had any issues "yet".

seems like the norm here is clevite

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IndigoMKII;1950939 said:
How would I be able to determine the difference between Kings/NDC/ACL?
It will be stamped on the Shells, NDC on NDC's ;)

Let me qualify my dislike of the Kings bearings, it's only the BiMetal bearings I've seen smear/fail, don't know anyone that's used King Trimetals so don't have an opinion and I'm not sure just what they supply for a 7M.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
IJ.;1951081 said:
It will be stamped on the Shells, NDC on NDC's ;)

Let me qualify my dislike of the Kings bearings, it's only the BiMetal bearings I've seen smear/fail, don't know anyone that's used King Trimetals so don't have an opinion and I'm not sure just what they supply for a 7M.

that makes more sense...im 90% certain mine are tri-metal. thanks for clarifying btw