Well, I finally did it

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Got the codes out this weekend while my dad was working on the rear end of my Bronco.

51- Irrelevant, i know why that one is lit.\

So, they pretty much confirm the problem areas I was going to look at to begin with...

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Made up the boost leak tester, boost leak tested, and found boost leak :) Popped a big old hole in the turbo-intercooler hose.

At least it wasn't anything too crazy.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
No, have to wait for the hoses to come in first.

However, I did check the AFM (resistance test per the TSRM) and the coolant temp sensor, both were in spec.

I should have the stuff by Wednesday or Thursday, so we'll see then.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
what you tested was the IAT sensor not the actual karman vortex (ks signal) that the ecu uses to measure air. You need the car running to test that, its measured in Hz's

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Ok. In any case, however, since everything mostly pointed to boost leak (it runs fine until the boost gauge shows 0 psi) and a boost leak was found, I'm going to assume occam's razor is still valid for Supras. But, good to know about the afm anyway.

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Car is not hard to start, provided the battery has a charge.

Once i put it back together, I'll clear the codes and check them again. I'm not so sure the previous owner would have thought to clear them.

wuestda

Beemer
Jul 2, 2007
Ohio
Me Too - last week coming back from the auto Show in Cleveland...
only it happened under heavy boost, and just like you said - no unusual noises, or guage readings except the AEM guage read 0.00 which pretty much tells me that I blew the head gasket - right? I had oil everywhere, but it ran fine on the expressway - It just was a bear to keep idling.
Had a tear in my eye as I was the pictures of your leaving on a truck - too close to home on that one, just towed mine Saturday - looks exactly like my MKIII.

Anybody know what a really GOOD steel gasket is / where to get it / and what ARP stud torques are for the rebuild process?
Also the business about an engine that's able to drive on the expresway at speed, but show no vacuum / boost bothers me greatly - is that even possible? I guess it must be! It does sound more like I destroyed an intercooler hose, but that does not explain the oil bath that the passenger side of the engine got that day...

PS: The AEM Tru-Boost was topped out at 29.2 PSI when she let go - so Yes I was haulin' the mail at the time. I too am looking to go with a 57 Trim rebuilt CT26, I am running an HKS Fuel-Cut Defencer, 500ccInjectors, and the AEM boost controller along with a NASA-Lewis product in both oil and fuel to prevent detonation, overheat, and increase lubricity at high RPM/Boost. I have a 4"Stainless cat-back system, and a 3.5" stainless downpipe.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I had a leak on the turbo side after changing out the airbox for a cone filter, had a dumbass moment left a main hose off. soooooo, thats my .2 check everything first lol.. confirm problem. then upgrade/replace as needed.

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Update:

As of 8PM last night I'm back in the game. Spent Sunday putting new shocks in waiting for the replacement hoses to get here. They arrived yesterday, put them in, and it's running beautifully now, better than before it broke.

Thanks for the help. It did end up being the turbo-intercooler upper hose- blew a hole in it on the turbo side.